• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2nd Level Accessibile Exits

Phil B

SAWHORSE
Accessibility exiting question: If an elevated level, (whether it be in a building, a mezzanine, or an elevated walkway for instance) has or requires 2 exits, does each exit have to have an accompanying lift for existing wheelchairs? I cannot find a clear-cut answer to this in the Florida Accessibility Code.

Thank you!

Generally if 2 MOE are required then both have to be accessible....A lift probably does not comply as an accessible MOE...

1009.1 Accessible means of egress required. Accessible
means of egress shall comply with this section. Accessible
spaces shall be provided with not less than one accessible
means of egress. Where more than one means of egress are
required by Section 1006.2 or 1006.3 from any accessible
space, each accessible portion of the space shall be served by
not less than two accessible means of egress.

Exceptions:
1. Accessible means of egress are not required to be
provided in existing buildings.
2. One accessible means of egress is required from an
accessible mezzanine level in accordance with Section
1009.3, 1009.4 or 1009.5.
3. In assembly areas with ramped aisles or stepped
aisles, one accessible means of egress is permitted
where the common path of egress travel is accessible
and meets the requirements in Section 1029.8.

Something to remember here is that even stairs can be a part of an accessible means of egress; what they are not, is an accessible route. See IBC Section 1009.2.

1009.2 Continuity and Components
Each required accessible means of egress shall be continuous to a public way and shall consist of one or more of the following components:
1. Accessible routes complying with Section 1104.
Interior exit stairways complying with Sections 1009.3 and 1023.
Exit access stairways complying with Sections 1009.3 and 1019.3 or 1019.4.
Exterior exit stairways complying with Sections 1009.3 and 1027 and serving levels other than the level of exit discharge.
5. Elevators complying with Section 1009.4.
6. Platform lifts complying with Section 1009.5.
7. Horizontal exits complying with Section 1026.
8. Ramps complying with Section 1012.
Areas of refuge complying with Section 1009.6.
Exterior areas for assisted rescue complying with Section 1009.7 serving exits at the level of exit discharge.

Something to remember here is that even stairs can be a part of an accessible means of egress; what they are not, is an accessible route. See IBC Section 1009.2.

1009.2 Continuity and Components
Each required accessible means of egress shall be continuous to a public way and shall consist of one or more of the following components:
1. Accessible routes complying with Section 1104.
Interior exit stairways complying with Sections 1009.3 and 1023.
Exit access stairways complying with Sections 1009.3 and 1019.3 or 1019.4.
Exterior exit stairways complying with Sections 1009.3 and 1027 and serving levels other than the level of exit discharge.
5. Elevators complying with Section 1009.4.
6. Platform lifts complying with Section 1009.5.
7. Horizontal exits complying with Section 1026.
8. Ramps complying with Section 1012.
Areas of refuge complying with Section 1009.6.
Exterior areas for assisted rescue complying with Section 1009.7 serving exits at the level of exit discharge.

Zeroing in on item 6.pertaining to platform lifts in the response above: Based on this section, if a building required 2 remote exit stairways, then there would need to be a platform lift near each stairway, correct? My confusion is with the requirements for vertical wheelchair egress. For example, I know of a small office building that has 2 exit stairs exiting into a courtyard, but only one platform lift.

A rated interior exit stair can be an AMOE....Just not an accessible route....You never use the elevator in a fire (unless it is a high rise with an egress elevator but that is a whole nother animal)

Zeroing in on item 6.pertaining to platform lifts in the response above: Based on this section, if a building required 2 remote exit stairways, then there would need to be a platform lift near each stairway, correct? My confusion is with the requirements for vertical wheelchair egress. For example, I know of a small office building that has 2 exit stairs exiting into a courtyard, but only one platform lift.
Not necessarily, a platform lift would work. However, any of the 10 options provided in 1009.2 would be acceptable as well.

Not necessarily, a platform lift would work. However, any of the 10 options provided in 1009.2 would be acceptable as well.

I need to rephrase / clarify my question:

If you have an elevated level in a structure that:
  • Otherwise would not require an elevator;
  • Has 2 FULLY compliant egress stairs (either open or enclosed);
  • A platform lift is allowed for access under the conditions:
Does that elevated level require 2 lifts adjacentto the stairs, or is 1 sufficient?

I need to rephrase / clarify my question:

If you have an elevated level in a structure that:
  • Otherwise would not require an elevator;
  • Has 2 FULLY compliant egress stairs (either open or enclosed);
  • A platform lift is allowed for access under the conditions:
Does that elevated level require 2 lifts adjacentto the stairs, or is 1 sufficient?
One lift is most likely needed for the accessible pathway.

Two of the options of 1009.2 are required (given two means of egress required) for accessible means of egress.