• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3 single family homes on 1 lot

jar546

Forum Coordinator
When you have one lot with a condo association and each of the units are single family with minimal separation distance (unknown exact), are they IRC or IBC since they are all on one lot? A townhouse is required to be on its own lot.....

(Amd) R101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration,
movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal
and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings
(townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of
egress and their accessory structures not more than three stories above grade plane in height.

I don't believe we require TH to be on their own lot here....

So long as it is allowed by your zoning regulations, and if they are detached, then I see no problem with running them through the IRC.

I would caution that you would still do an imaginary lot line between the units for purposes of determining fire separation distance and requirements for fire resistant construction.

R302.1 Exterior Walls
Construction, projections, openings and penetrations of exterior walls of dwellings and accessory buildings shall comply with Table R302.1(1); or dwellings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section P2904 shall comply with Table R302.1(2).
Exceptions:

1. Walls, projections, openings or penetrations in walls perpendicular to the line used to determine the fire separation distance.
  2. Walls of individual dwelling units and their accessory structures located on the same lot.
  3. Detached tool sheds and storage sheds, playhouses and similar structures exempted from permits are not required to provide wall protection based on location on the lot. Projections beyond the exterior wall shall not extend over the lot line.
  4. Detached garages accessory to a dwelling located within 2 feet (610 mm) of a lot line are permitted to have roof eave projections not exceeding 4 inches (102 mm).
  5. Foundation vents installed in compliance with this code are permitted.
[RB] FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE. The distance measured from the building face to one of the following:
  1. To the closest interior lot line.
  2. To the centerline of a street, an alley or public way.
  3. To an imaginary line between two buildings on the lot.
While FSD is not required for accessory structures, another dwelling is not typically considered accessory. Therefore, you still apply the FSD requirements.

I don't believe we require TH to be on their own lot here....
TOWNHOUSE. A single-family dwelling unit not exceeding three stories in height constructed in a group of two or more attached units with property lines separating such units in which each unit extends from foundation to roof and with a yard or public way on not less than two sides.

FYI Jar, the definition is not the same everywhere....

[RB] TOWNHOUSE. A building that contains three or more attached townhouse units in which each unit extends from foundation to roof. Each single-family dwelling unit shall have a yard or public way on not less than two sides that extends at least 50 percent of the length of each of these two sides.
TOWNHOUSE UNIT. A single-family dwelling unit in a townhouse that extends from foundation to roof and that has a yard or public way on not less than two sides that extends at least 50 percent of the length of each of these two sides.

Locally, most of our townhouses are on a single lot. They then condo out the townhouse unit so that it can be bought/sold. While the individual units are bought and sold, the building exterior and surrounding yards remain under the HOA, which becomes responsible for upkeep and maintenance.

Jar
That is the definition used in the Legacy Codes, and the one our zoning code uses. I believe the property line requirement for townhomes should be in the I-Codes If the property line is not there then they are nothing but apartments and should fall under the IBC

Jar
That is the definition used in the Legacy Codes, and the one our zoning code uses. I believe the property line requirement for townhomes should be in the I-Codes If the property line is not there then they are nothing but apartments and should fall under the IBC
That definition was from the FBC Residential.

Jar

Owned and occupied forever by one family??