• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3007.6.2 Hoistway Lighting

cda

Sawhorse 123

When fire-fighters' emergency operation is active, the entire height of the hoistway shall be illuminated at not less than 1 footcandle (11 lux) as measured from the top of the car of each fire service access elevator.

1. do you check for this??

2. How do you see it activated,, firefighter key or other???

When fire-fighters' emergency operation is active, the entire height of the hoistway shall be illuminated at not less than 1 footcandle (11 lux) as measured from the top of the car of each fire service access elevator.

1. do you check for this??

I believe the only way to really check it is to actually use a fire department key. This makes sense also because the operation of the key has to be verified. I've never seen one lit that dimly during inspection, they are nearly much brighter.

Are the lights mounted in the shaft or on top of the elevator cab?

Ma code require light on top of the cab all the time with switch, then if the shaft is above x feet additional lighting, the elevator inspector test all the function of recall, lobby smoke detectors FF key, on annual inspection, BO just checks the certificate for date compliance

Ma code require light on top of the cab all the time with switch, then if the shaft is above x feet additional lighting, the elevator inspector test all the function of recall, lobby smoke detectors FF key, on annual inspection, BO just checks the certificate for date compliance

How is this requirement satisfied ???

You have to realize that I am in Massachussettes, a Commonwealth were many things governed by physics, electrical theory and common sense, including electricity, elevators, domestic water, and sewage behave differently than the other 43 states and 3 Commonwealths.

My point is the in Mass there is a homegrown elevator code enforce bys a separate agency from the building code, which is separate from the plumbing code, and a separate electrical code based on NFPA 70 that has its own special Mass. quirks.

So I do not verify as the Building Offical the operation of the elevator or any of it supporting equipment, and if I or anyone else wants to see or work in the elevator shaft after the equipment is installed 2 highly paid elevator mechanics have to be summoned at a 4-hour minimum just to open the door for anyone can have access the shaft.