• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

305.3 Pipes through foundation walls

No Soup for you

I know the sleeve needs to be two pipe sizes larger.

I have always installed (when a GC) and now (as an inspector) require cast iron or metal sleeves but the code does not specify.

I failed a guy using a PVC sleeve for a pipe for the septic through a foundation wall (also because it was not two sizes larger) and he raised the fact that it doesnt specify any particular material.
He is right. (or I cant find it)

Any discussion on material?

The purpose of the sleeve is to maintain an annular space around the pipe when the foundation wall is poured. IMHO it can be Styrofoam that you would remove when installing pipe.. If you core drill after the wall is poured you would not install a sleeve in the concrete wall.

I disagree. Code calls for a sleeve, not a hole in the wall.
Sleeve or "relieving arch". I contend that the top of a hole is in an arch shape...

Edit: I have allowed appropriately sized drain tile to be used as a sleeve. I don't see any reason to use metal pipe for the sleeve - it really doesn't add anything of value to the structure or durability of the installation that I am aware of.

Second Edit: Could be that metal pipe sleeves are required in some UL fire-rated assemblies.

Last edited:
The usual situation is what is shown in the picture. A correction is written to install a sleeve. A plastic pipe is sliced down the middle and placed over the ABS pipe and secured with duct tape. Coring a hole is just as functional as a sleeve but almost never done in residential footings.

Picture 031.jpg

305.2 Stress and Strain

Piping in a plumbing system shall be installed so as to prevent strains and stresses that exceed the structural strength of the pipe. Where necessary, provisions shall be made to protect piping from damage resulting from expansion, contraction and structural settlement.

305.3 Pipes Through Foundation Walls

Any pipe that passes through a foundation wall shall be provided with a relieving arch, or a pipe sleeve pipe shall be built into the foundation wall. The sleeve shall be two pipe sizes greater than the pipe passing through the wall.

The purpose of the sleeve is to maintain an annular space around the pipe when the foundation wall is poured. IMHO it can be Styrofoam that you would remove when installing pipe.. If you core drill after the wall is poured you would not install a sleeve in the concrete wall.
I agree. The Iapmo code in 312.10 notes an exception, "sleeves shall not be required where openings are bored or drilled"

What should matter is the size of the hole and not whether a sleeve was provided.

I agree it is the size of the hole and the annular space that needs to be sealed. Sticking a larger pipe in the forms before placing the concrete is just expecting water problems in the future and is definitely not a "Best Practice Method" that gets mentioned on here at various times. There are numerous pipe sleeve manufactures out there. Here is one I have seen used in our area a couple of times

Wall SLEEVES: CEMENT COATED PVC WA-ZVR units
Wall Sleeves WA-ZVR models are non-metallic wall sleeves. The provide watertight applications for conduit, power cords, communication cables or pipe through concrete and block walls.

A special bonding coating creates an homogeneous bond with new concrete or grout resulting in a 72 psi (5 bar) passage for pipes and conduit through structure walls.

wall-sleeves-cemented-coated-PVC-wall-sleeves

The special bonded pipe sleeves, attach to the concrete - preventing leaking around the sleeve. End caps insure a clean passage is maintained until pipes are ready to enter the building.

Pipes / Conduit pass through the sleeve into a structure and are sealed with Pipe Mechanical Seals. The seals are provided as part of the assembly based on the conduit or pipe size entering through the foundation.

Always remember that how we did or would do something is not relevant as an inspector. What the code requires is all that matters. I've been approving things I don't like or would not have done it that way but it was code compliant so it passes. It was customary to use PVC for sleeving material in block foundation walls and bore through concrete walls.

We all know the building drain has a minimum fall of 1/8” per foot of run. The “2 pipe sizes or relieving arch“ is to allow for settlement of the foundation so the gap must be at the top of the pipe. IMO, the material doesn’t matter so long as it is installed correctly.

We all know the building drain has a minimum fall of 1/8” per foot of run.

California Plumbing Code

708 Grade of Horizontal Drainage Piping.
A minimum 1/4" per foot slope is required. Drainage pipe 4" diameter or larger shall be permitted to slope 1/8" per foot where approved by the AHJ. Footnote #5 of table 703.2 requires the maximum number of fixture units to be multiplied by a factor of 0.8 if the slope is 1/8" per foot.

708 applies to all horizontal pipe within the building walls and two feet past the building walls. 718 applies to a building sewer which connects to a building drain at a point two feet from the building wall.

718 Grade, Support, and Protection of Building Sewers.
A minimum slope of 1/4" per foot is required. Where approved by the AHJ 4" through 6" diameter pipe can slope 1/8" per foot and 8" diameter and larger can slope 1/16" per foot.

California Plumbing Code

708 Grade of Horizontal Drainage Piping.
A minimum 1/4" per foot slope is required. Drainage pipe 4" diameter or larger shall be permitted to slope 1/8" per foot where approved by the AHJ. Footnote #5 of table 703.2 requires the maximum number of fixture units to be multiplied by a factor of 0.8 if the slope is 1/8" per foot.

708 applies to all horizontal pipe within the building walls and two feet past the building walls. 718 applies to a building sewer which connects to a building drain at a point two feet from the building wall.

718 Grade, Support, and Protection of Building Sewers.
A minimum slope of 1/4" per foot is required. Where approved by the AHJ 4" through 6" diameter pipe can slope 1/8" per foot and 8" diameter and larger can slope 1/16" per foot.
Please don't forget that Table 717.1 applies to less sloped drainage. There is a minimum and a maximum loading for Building Sewer when using 8" and above.

Reactions: ICE