• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3x2x1-1/2” handy box with 14/3.

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I had an installation today where they brought MC cable, 14/3 into an inch and a half handy box. It is supposed to have a switch in it. Is this code compliant for box fill?

can you think of any scenario where an inch and a half deep handy box would be code compliant for box fill?

Don't have an NEC in front of me, but I am reasonably sure that is not compliant, but maybe that is a plug recept not allowed.

OK so this is not compliant. A 2x3x1-1/2" handy box can't be used for any receptacle or switch no matter what the wire size. Maybe as a fixture box for a sconce.

Let me expand since we know that a 3x2x1-1/2" "handybox" cannot be used with any devices using 12 or 14 awg wire.

NEC Table 314.16(A) shows us that the box has a capacity of 7.5 cu/in.

The maximum number of conductors on the chart are: 14awg -3 and 12awg -3. This means that the ground, one white and one black and you are done. If you attempt to add a switch or receptacle, you are now over. If you run 14/3 wire you are over before you even think about a device. The box can only be used on the end of a circuit because you can't even come in with one 14/2 and leave to another box with 14/2. Basically they are good for fixtures where no devices will be in the box.
Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 21.54.46.png