• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

403.9.3 Pool covers 2009 IECC

Keystone

SAWHORSE
403.9.3 Pool covers. Heated pools shall be equipped with a vapor-retardant pool cover on or at the water surface. Pools heated to more than 90°F (32°C) shall have a pool cover with a minimum insulation value of R-12.

Exception: Pools deriving over 60 percent of the energy for heating from site-recovered energy or solar energy source.

IG Pool with attached spa with gas heater for both. I think it is practical to assume the pool will not be heated to more than 90*F, the attached spa will be heated above 90*F. I interpret the spa to require an insulated cover, what about you?

A minority of fellow inspectors do not want to touch this with a ten foot pole cause if the homeowner wants to waste money on heating let them but mind you they will readily enforce wall, floor, ceiling insulation. Others feel the attached spa is not the same as a stand alone spa, stand alone is more likely to get used, electric vs gas heater, blah blah blah...

I agree that the spa is likely to be over 90 and the pool below 90. If this is a spill over spa, they generally will turn off the pool water supply to the spa when they heat it or it would never get hot.