• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

494 Registered Users!!! WOW!

jpranch

Platinum Member
Who could have imagined that we would have 257 registered users! Welcome all. :D :D :D

Post Script: ICC (international cash cow) the joke is on you! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Re: 252 Registered Users!!!

No gloating? Nothing of the sort. Facts are facts. The icc (international cash cow) screwed the pooch (Air Force Term)

(334th TFS)on this one. :lol:

I really felt that we would grow faster given the base of BB regular users. I believe that as word spreads and people find a user friendly site to operate that the numbers will grow even larger. Those who come with code questions will find a wealth of experience and code knowledge among our members. Members willing to take time to debate code issues and relay answer and direction.

This point impressed me the most on the old site. The same rings true here. A simple code question could get answers form as far away as Washington, Texas, Wyoming, Michigan or from a few miles up the road. What a tremendous resource for any and all code people. No more sitting on the see saw of indecision when face with a code or building issue, knowing that someone out there has the expertise to point you in the right direction.

Keep spreading the word!

RJJ, I could not agree more. I started on the cash cow board in 2001 and noticed this as a great asset for those who want to learn and expand there knowledge, or just to get it right in the first place! :mrgreen:

I think the more we spread the word to fellow code officials about this site the stronger it will get. The vast amount of knowledge on this site is far better than anything icc will ever have. I trust everyones views on code related topics on this site more than any other source. :mrgreen:

Re: 257 Registered Users!!!

I think it will grow fairly fast. This is my first post here as I just signed up last week and there has to be a lot of people like me.

I was completely blind sided by ICC new web site. I hadn't logged in for over a week. When I did, the old site was gone. I sent emails to ICC board members complaining about the "members only" BB. I really thought the open nature of the BB was a positive as it allowed anyone with a questions to post it and get some some good feed back. My emails to ICC board were answered and forwarded on to others and I eventually received a reply saying "Join ICC" or no access. I'm not sure when ICC added the old BB archive, but I found the archive last week and found Jeff's post offering this newsgroup. :D

Thanks Jeff!

Re: 257 Registered Users!!!

Now 283 and growing! Dominic, You do not have to hold a web meeting to try and figure out where the icc (international cash cow) went wrong. Just look at what is here and why all these good people are here.

Re: 283 Registered Users!!!

jp,

I'm not sure that `ol Dominic and the cronies over at ICC even know the barn door has

been kicked open and the horsies are out and gone for good. Maybe they're too

busy schmoozing...

I sent Dominic a email telling him about this site (how great it is) and how the "new" icc site stinks in detail AND why "communities of interests" is a complete and total failure. Wonder if he gets it?

uh...............I really doubt it, admitting to "getting it" would be the same as saying they were wrong. :roll:

Well here I am :D The insurance representative on the board. I was on the old ICC board as INSLCREP. Let the education begin. :lol:

Thanks for setting this up.

Tom

Welcome Tom. Insurance reps and Dentist's are welcome here. Sorry about the shot. Just having a little fun at your expence. Actually your perspective on this board is quite valuable. A lot of what we do in code inforcement has direct ties to the insurance industry.

JP,

Thanks I am very popular at parties when folks ask what I do for a living I say "I work for an insurance company", they immediately think I am going to sell them insurance and get ready for the pitch. :lol: Most folks have no idea of the engineering side of the business and all that goes into it. I will then ask what they do for a living. Most times I have been in a facility like they work at and will then tell them how their product is made, shipped, etc etc. The fun part about this job is we see just about every operation and or occupancy and all the places most folks never see.

I have been teaching code officials fire protection for 25+ years and understand how similar are jobs are. I look forward to being a productive member of the forum.

How many are providing a link from their chapter website to this website? I think it would stimulate significant growth if we all were to provide those links. Just a thought.

I think that the insurance industry is an excellent addition to this BB. I sure would like to see some interaction as well from the banking industry. The old saying "money talks and BS walks" has always been true. Near as I can figure Wyoming will never ( I know, never say never) have any comprehensive state wide code enforcement without the insurance and banking industries pushing for it? Comments welcome.

JP maybe you should be thankful for what you have. You could end up like New York and have to require stamps on anything over $20,000.00.

You could end up like New York and have to require stamps on anything over $20,000.00??? Haven't heard that one. Where or who made that a requirement. My comment about the insurance and banking industries was from the perspective of completely unregulated jurisdictions. The thinking here is that there will never be any comprehensive plan review or inspection program in the counties until banking and insurance companies push for it?

incognito - I don't write State Education Law. I'm not regulating myself out of anything. If I accept plans for a project in excess of $20,000 without a seal/signature my employer is potentially liable. That would be de-regulating myself out of a job. And those taxpayers that you seem to care so much about will foot the bill for the judgement. My salary is a he<< of a lot less than a court award for non-feasance.

Min&Max - It's a New York thing apparently.

This is not something that NYS COs have any control over whatsoever. Not to mention a CO can't be all-knowing on all things code anyway. I know some would like to believe that is possible, but it simply is not. We are 'generalists' at best, usually with a particular skill set in one or more trades, but far from god-like in our knowledge.

Certification is not the same as deification.

Copied and pasted from JD comment from "Off Topic"

My bad. "Residential Building, Interesting Class".

May fall into the category of "be careful what you ask for because you might get it."