• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

5 foot or 10 foot head?

Glenn

I made this video about a year ago in response to the 2015 IRC reducing the 10-foot head to 5-feet. I offer some history of DWV tests back to the 1800's and I show some research of the change in 2015. HOWEVER, code education is never ending. The 2021 changed it back to 10-feet. Funny.

15 min video took some time to put together, greatly appreciate the insight..

Reducing to 5ft head was based off Florida Building Code and common sense.

The reversion back to 10ft head was based from theoretical greater assessment of leaks. But if that’s the case why stop at ten foot head. I can buy 20ft lengths of glue or slip joint pipe so let’s go twenty feet.

Now I’m curious why Fl lowered its head height?!

D we have any mechanical engineers to break down the actual difference on the average size dwelling, 5ft head VS 10ft head???

It always seemed odd to me that the committees vote to change a code without evidence or research to back it up.

SCIENCE, you don't have to believe in it to be true

Since we are talking plumbing tests I'd love to get your take on this:

I just had a rough inspection where about half the pipes felt hollow so I questioned the plumber. "Yeah there's no water in it but it's still under test because there's plenty of pressure." I asked how I'm supposed to know if there's a leak or not. "If there was a leak the air would be replaced by water and the leak would show up." I asked how I know there's not a small leak. "It's been on test since last night." I asked how I'm supposed to know that. I explained that I have 30 minutes (not counting drive time) to check all of the rough framing, plumbing, and electrical on two houses and that I didn't have time to argue the fine points of plumbing test. I asked him to take the caps off of the vent stacks and refill it, then when the water starts to over-flow at the lower vents cap them off and move up till its coming out the highest vent then leave it on test. He blew up on me "We've been doing it this way for 30 years..." and "the county doesn't make us do this..." I calmly explained that other plumbers here do this and don't complain. He yelled at me some more as he got in his truck and peeled out of the jobsite. I wrote a correction notice and moved on.

Am I being too strict or is he being lazy?

Since we are talking plumbing tests I'd love to get your take on this:

I just had a rough inspection where about half the pipes felt hollow so I questioned the plumber. "Yeah there's no water in it but it's still under test because there's plenty of pressure." I asked how I'm supposed to know if there's a leak or not. "If there was a leak the air would be replaced by water and the leak would show up." I asked how I know there's not a small leak. "It's been on test since last night." I asked how I'm supposed to know that. I explained that I have 30 minutes (not counting drive time) to check all of the rough framing, plumbing, and electrical on two houses and that I didn't have time to argue the fine points of plumbing test. I asked him to take the caps off of the vent stacks and refill it, then when the water starts to over-flow at the lower vents cap them off and move up till its coming out the highest vent then leave it on test. He blew up on me "We've been doing it this way for 30 years..." and "the county doesn't make us do this..." I calmly explained that other plumbers here do this and don't complain. He yelled at me some more as he got in his truck and peeled out of the jobsite. I wrote a correction notice and moved on.

Am I being too strict or is he being lazy?

To strict, no.