• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

708.2 exception 2.1, 2009 IBC

pmarx

Bronze Member
I've never worked on a project with an escalator so here goes. Escalator in B use connecting two floors. Actually, it's two escalators with a monumental stair between the two. This is not part of the means of egress. According to the commentary, the formula is:

Lo x Wo = 2 x LE/S x WE/S

and shows a single escalator in the example. Should I add the widths of the two escalators and stair to arrive at WE/S? Thanks.

check the figure appears and makes sense to include both

I see two in this one::

Figure 708.2(1) SHAFT ENCLOSURE—DRAFT CURTAIN EXCEPTION

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/icod_ibc_2009f2cc_7_par093.htm

Exception 2 addresses stairways and escalators in fully sprinklered buildings that are not part of the required means of egress. Item 2.1 requires a draft curtain to protect the opening, the size of which is limited based on the configuration of the stairway or escalator [see Figure 708.2(1)]. This option allows such floor openings to occur for the full height of the building, regardless of the number of stories for Groups B and M. For all other occupancies, there is a four-story limitation (three floors permitted to contain openings). Item 2.2 requires automatic shutters at each floor opening and is not limited as to height or occupancy [see Figure 708.2(2)].

Please make sure to design in the draft curtain for the fire sprinklers