• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A Glimpse Into A Rare Electrical Sighting

250.12 Clean Surfaces. Nonconductive coatings (such as paint, lacquer, and enamel) on equipment to be grounded shall be removed from threads and other contact surfaces to ensure good electrical continuity or be connected by means of fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.

Oh and there is a label on the door that might specify a ground bus. Then again, that lug could have been factory.

Last edited:
250.12 Clean Surfaces. Nonconductive coatings (such as paint, lacquer, and enamel) on equipment to be grounded shall be removed from threads and other contact surfaces to ensure good electrical continuity or be connected by means of fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.

Oh and there is a label on the door that might specify a ground bus. Then again, that lug could have been factory.

yes, but in this case the hole was factory and tapped just like a ground bar would be attached.

I am impressed that they got the GEC to the main....Around here they say that the utility wont let them go through the meter can....Does the listing of the ground lug require the entire bottom surface to in contact with bare, or just the screw?

So here is the question. This is something that I did not notice until after I posted this.

The pre-meter disconnect has the neutral passing right through without bonding to the disconnect. The neutral does bond to the meter can but then does not get routed to the actual service disconnect on the right. So there are 2 violations of 250.24(C) in this case. Hmmm Mr. Kennedy. Why did you not see this????

There were none, other than 250.92

I disagree. The grounded conductor is required to be routed with the ungrounded conductors to each service disconnecting means. (250.24(C)) The gray conductor is neither ran with, nor terminated at the service disconnecting means. The switch on the right.

It appears that I took too long before hitting the 'post reply' button. Don't think I can edit my previous post.

It appears that I took too long before hitting the 'post reply' button. Don't think I can edit my previous post.

It's OK. If you were a Sawhorse you have a longer time limit to edit your posts. So yes, we both agree that BOTH disconnects should have the grounded conductor routed to and bonded at both service disconnects?

Totally missed that "loop".....But isn't that the utility "ground" at that point and not a true "neutral" in the first disco (service)? And then it would float everywhere else...?