• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A New Profit Motive for Green - Leed - Points

Architect1281

Gold Member
Not that I am convinced that the L word is a marketing scam

conjured up by

Builders who could not build; and Designers who could not design;

but they could or wanted to be accountants.

They wanted to count the seeds into trees into walls and floors

They wanted to count how far the concterte block delivery truck travelled and how much fuel it consumed

how strong the concrete block is is irrelevant.

a way has been devised to pat owners of new building on the back

for doing the right thing (for the wrong reason) and pick their pocket when its over.

I now put a jar on the table at project meetings and every time the L word or point is mentioned

a $5.00 donation to the jar is required.

so I have found a way to make this process acceptable withot contributing to the cause.

you see I Know that Ggggrrreeeeen, and sususustainable is really architecture 101 and

is also described in pages 30 through 70 of my antique Graphic Standards.

What was forgotten is new again. only now you need a certificate

Its good to be back

Re: A New Profit Motive for Green - Leed - Points

"Green" = BS, L= lettus which = MONEY, "Points" = the number on an elks rack. Thats it plus nothing. I'm soooooooo sick of this green thing that I just want to puke. End of very short rant...........

Good golly. Even the NFPA is jumping on the green band wagon:

February 2010

Unprecedented research

Sprinklers protect the environment

The initial findings of a study on the environmental impact of home fire sprinklers show that in the event of a home fire where sprinklers are present, there is a dramatic reduction in the release of greenhouse gases, the amount of water used, and degree of fire damage.

JP,

Probably a way for sprinkler manufacturers/contractors to get taxpayer funded grants/rebates to charge them to put sprinklers in their homes!

The NFPA cashing in on green? I had hoped it would not happen but... AND with the sprinkler issue... All hope is lost.What have we become?

We are becoming or have become a target for every manufacturer wanting to market an unnecessary product related to the construction industry. All they have to do is claim a benefit to safety, health or the environment and we start bobbing our heads in unison. I always thought Simpson Strong-tie was the master at this but they pale next to NFPA. When they could not convince enough of us to vote in favor of RFS's they bought enough memberships(votes) to shove it up our ---. No matter how hard others lobby for a product at least they do not have the ability to do what NFPA did.

incognito: I could not agree more. I believe the time has come to put votes on the floor and stop this C*** from continuing. It is time for code issues and votes to approve such issues to come back into the hands of the inspectors. Many have been sold a bag of (well)!! not seeing the big picture or the elephants in the room.

If we sit on our butts it will continue. If we as a group can put votes on the floor this will change.

It is long pass the time that a tea party take place!

Ok, so if icc = international cash cow dose nfpa = national fire profit association?

I can't belive I just said that!!! Boy oh boy will I take so heat for this one???

Incognito,

Excellent input! ;)

jp,

Yes, it's still about the money! It's always about the money. And not for you / us either! At this

point I would again like to thank our generous benefactor [ Jeff ] for providing an excellent alternative

to what we had. I sincerely believe that this site is a giant proactive step in distancing ourselves

away from "the Cash Cow"! I also believe that we have a sent a powerful "shot across the bow"

to "the Cow".

Some cracks in the "the Cow's" armor have been noticed. Cracks such as: Greatly reduced activity

at their bulletin board site, ...extending the 2006 I-codes testing into 2010 [ for how long is unknown ]

rather than simply and automatically assuming that everyone would buy their 2009 codes and

' not say or do ' anything, ...reduced membership renewals, ...various BO chapters seeking other

code alternatives, ...reduced amount of scheduled "Cow training" and of course the increased amount

of voiced dissatisfaction taking place on this forum. The more we talk with one another and then

back up that talk with action, the more likelyhood we will actually take back some control of our

profession.

More and more these days, it is becoming increasingly more evident that we citizens of these United

States should say "NO ! We do not want to go in that direction, and that we wil not stand by and

let you continue to drive this country in to the ground for your own selfish motives any longer."

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Actively participate in Crime Control in this country. Vote A L L incumbant

elected officials out of office, ...PERIOD!

Until we do that, we will continue to get the same old results!

A quote directly from the icc (cow) website:

"The Code Council’s Partner program offers organizations and companies the opportunity to align their goals with the ICC. ICC’s nearly 50,000 members play a key role in the built environment; let us help your company communicate with them."

:twisted: The money in the jar goes to me

Its the only possible way for the process to be profitable

My Brother in Law is a Land Surveyor

He now says he is a "Green Surveyor"

thinking

Why the Heck Not ??

I'm also starting a compeating standard

no fee

no standard

no certification

Building Application For Future Living and Ecology :mrgreen:

What exactly is a "Green Surveyor" ? What is a "green" builder? Did this builder construct a home in the land of OZ? Wonder if that home had RFS? If the wicked witch of the west had sprinklers she would have not melted??? But the green house gases that she DID produce more than likely killed millions!!!

Re: A New Profit Motive for Green - Leed - PointsBut just think, when you start enforcing the Green Code you can demand green uniforms since you will be Green Police, the fire marshals will have nothing on you with their fancy uniforms, and you can goosestep too!.green_goose.jpg[/attachment:2xdpa8lu]Audi is in trouble for their Superbowl ad featuring the Green Police, Pack and Uncle Bob are going to love being Green Police.

The problem? The Green Police was a name used in Nazi Germany to refer to the German Order Police, or Orpo, who were given the moniker because of their green uniforms. The Orpo weren't merely traffic cops, however. According to the Jewish Virtual Library, one battalion was central in sending Jews, Poles and Gypsies to concentration camps.¹
¹ http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/compa ... /19337683/View attachment 62

View attachment 62

/monthly_2010_05/green_goose.jpg.99b7b2f5c1136bf5bfbd302457822187.jpg

Just so it doesn't go unnoticed, Architect1281 started out this thread by saying:

Architect1281 said:
Not that I am convinced that the L word is a marketing scamconjured up by

Builders who could not build; and Designers who could not design;

but they could or wanted to be accountants.
For those Green Police who don't know, our architect1281 was referring to the USGBC's LEED program when he referred to the "L Word" . The LEED program, which has a fee of about $30,000 for a home, actually creates buildings which consume more energy than your average home, the reason is that they use fans 24 hours per day, or a time clocked programed for sufficient air changes per hour, our green codes are requiring garbage to be installed in homes, our energy codes are requiring us to pump out the toxic chemicals produced by that garbage, the net effect is that we are paying to run fans that are conditioning outside air 365 days per year, that same air that we just sealed the home up to save energy. Michael Gifford did an irrefutable study on LEED buildings:

Michael Gifford said:
The LEED system has changed the market for environmentally friendly buildings in the US, but there is an enormous problem: the best data available shows that on average, they use more energy than comparable buildings. What has been created is the image of energy efficient buildings, but not actual energy efficiency.Therefore, what the data actually indicate is that the 22% of LEED buildings whose owners participated in the study and reported their energy data used an average of 29% more energy than the most similar buildings in the dataset that the study authors chose to use as a comparison! Going to so much trouble and expense to end up with buildings that use more energy than comparable buildings is not only a tragedy, it is also a fraud perpetuated on US.¹
.BTW, this study has been supported by the famous building scientist Joe Lstiburek, and you Green Police who inspect buildings are going to enforce these codes. Sure you still want to be building inspectors?

Green Buildings said:
The charge, that LEED certified buildings are not, in fact, energy efficient at all, was raised by Henry Gifford, owner of Gifford Fuel Saving. He is a man who has decades of hands on experience (particularly with boilers) managing, owning, renovating and residential properties and buildings in New York City. Mr. Gifford has apparently spent his entire career focusing on what saves energy, while earning money by saving people money on fuel.In March 2008, Mr. Gifford blew the whistle on what he perceives as a smoke and mirrors approach to sustainability by the USGBC, the creators of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design green building rating system, better known as "LEED" stemming from a 2007 report commissioned by the organization to actually measure the energy performance of the buildings they are certifying as "green". Central to Mr. Gifford's position is the USGBC's apples to oranges approach of comparing the median energy performance of one group of buildings to the mean performance of another.

Another article by Joseph Lstiburek (which is so humorous, it could be a story transcript for the "Daily Show"), in the journal of ASHRAE (the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers), shames architects and the engineers that support them for chasing "points" for superfluous "green" motives that have nothing whatsoever to do with saving energy once in place. Indeed, Mr. Lstiburek asserts, some efforts may absorb more energy to get them there in the first place, having the opposite effect. Mr. Lstiburek praises Mr. Gifford's work while going further to shame the USGBC's "form over substance" practice of allowing building owners to claim LEED ratings before their buildings are even complete.²
¹ http://869789182725854870-a-energysavin ... edirects=0

² http://www.green-buildings.com/content/ ... ry-gifford

Con Arb

The Grreen Audi SUperbowl Add was one of my favorite

(that and the DORITO CHIP DOG) twisted sense of Humor I do Confess

the GREEN POLICE add would be even funnier if it weren't so dead on of where

the green do gooders want it to go

I predict that wil be in force by 2012

just in time to end the world

It's time and you all know it to. The "cow" will position (has) itself with the federal gov. The feds will mandate. Here is where the meat meets the metal. The STATES MUST tell the feds shove it! Highway money and every other money addiction the feds hold us hostage over? It is time to say, NO MORE!

ICC's entrys into the Green Fray

ICC/Nahb 700 National Green Building Standard 2008 is on the street, complete with an ICC cert test.

ICC International Green Construction Code--final draft almost ready to go through the code change process and emerge as a member of the 2012 ICC code family. This is intended to be the first Green Construction Code intended for mandatory adoption and enforcement by AHJs.

http://www.iccsafe.org/newsroom/News%20 ... 9-IGCC.pdf

LEED is a proprietary method developed by USGBC.. there are other ways to achieve energy efficiency.

LEED isn't all about energy efficiency, anyway... part of it is, and part is in the maintenance of the building (recycling, etc).

Building energy measures into the structure that doesn't rely on on going maintenance is a better way to achieve energy efficiency goals rather than paying for the LEED seal of approval.... which is expensive (and not just in the measures you put into place).. USGBC doesn't just give it away.

If as much effort was put into building features that really worked as has been put into this green nonsense we would really have something.

Don't forget everybody, this is "fix a leak" week. Want to save potable water? Just fix that leaking toilet or hose bib. That will do more to conserve water than any code.

"Green" Cities encourge a minimum LEED of Silver for commercial buildings.

Since LEED cerfification is a proprietary "product" of USGBC, makes me wonder a little bit if there are some "under the table" deals going on.

There are other rating methods (green home.. green globes, etc) that are equally effective (maybe better) - just not as well known as the LEED program.

One of our remodeling clients recently did a renovation at a 200 year old historic home... his comment? "LEED makes you bleed"... it's expensive to do.. of course, the home did achieve a Platinum certification. I'll check back with them after the house has been re-occupied for a year to see what the energy use data shows.

I have to agree with JP... fix a leak (rather than buy a dual flush toilet).

There's $20 extra "virtual" dollars in your jar! :D