• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A Royal Pain

Mac

Gold Member
That's what administering Zoning laws can turn into.

A resident - and former Village Trustee - owns a vacant parcel of land which abuts her own. They have owned this parcel for years, although it is part of a larger business zone. There is no street frontage.

The business zone has setback requirements, and by my reckoning, the little parcel can not be built on because there is no area that is open & buildable. In order to build a storage building, they would need at least three zoning variances.

Granted, it is an odd situation and an odd little bit of land. The Zoning board of Appeals may grant relief, but the owner has to apply for it. They are pretty annoyed now. Maybe I'll give them a few days to cool off.

Its one of those things I could tell them to go ahead with, and no one would care. But that's not the job - the job is to apply the code impartially.

fatboy said:
Eliminate the lot lines? Make it a single lot?
Would probably require a change in the adopted zoning map as one parcel or the other would be rezoned.

IMHO, Zoning Board is the appropriate route.

Tim

Oh and there's a wedding planned and they want to build a porch/shed roof thing for the celebration, scheduled for a couple of weeks from now.

Eliminating the lot line, changing the zone, and combining the parcels is the way to go, but takes time. Maybe the wedding party can be someplace else?

To build a structure within a few weeks usually isn't going to happen. If agreeable, what about recommending a temp tent like structure from a rental company. Make sure its not made by Lil Tikes :)

The more likely scenario... put the tent up Friday afternoon (after Town Hall closes) and take it down Monday morning.