• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A shower in a 2nd bathroom in a Type B unit.

Ryan Schultz

The layout illustrated below is a Type B unit.

The master bathroom is an 'Option A' bathroom.

The smaller bathroom, as I understand it, also has to be an 'Option A' bathroom.

Is that truncated shower in the smaller bathroom, allowed? Or does that need a 36"x36" clear per 1004.11.3.1.3.3, as well?

I'm wondering because I didn't know if the the following verbiage applied to the unit, or to the individual bathroom itself. "If a shower compartment is the only bathing facility..."

1004.11.3.1.3.3 Shower Compartment. If a
shower compartment is the only bathing
facility, the shower compartment shall have
dimensions of 36 inches (915 mm) minimum
in width and 36 inches (915 mm) minimum in
depth. A clearance of 48 inches (1220 mm)
minimum in length, measured perpendicular
from the shower head wall, and 30 inches
(760 mm) minimum in depth, measured from
the face of the shower compartment, shall be
provided. Reinforcing for a shower seat is
not required in shower compartments larger
than 36 inches (915 mm) in width and 36
inches (915 mm) in depth.

Revit_NPWexl5Bah.png

FYI, from my AHJ...

In Type B, Option A units all restroom fixtures are required to comply with the requirements for Option A per ANSI A117.1 (2009) Section 1004.11.3.1 to the extent described in the subsections.

The shower in the smaller restroom would be required to be 36”x36” clear as it is the only bathing facility provided in that particular bathroom. The truncated shower would not be compliant. The clear floor space and reinforcement requirements described would also apply.

What is the room between the large living area and the bedroom in the bottom left corner?