• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access control system

Charley

I work as the accountant in a small financial firm. I have been in service for 15 years now and I moved to this firm 2 years back because it is in my hometown.
The firm is planning to upgrade the security systems in the wake of many intrusion cases being reported in our area.We already have a cctv system and intrusion alarm in and now our next plan is to add card access control systems. With this we would be able to track anyone going in and out of the office. I had heard that to install cctv camera in the office we need permits. Is it the same for access control. Can someone guide me on this.
Thank you so much.

More than likely the answer is yes

You need to contact the local building authority, they will tell you for sure

As CDA said, it would be governed by the municipality's by-law. Contact the city and they will advise if a permit is necessary. Permits are generally always required if you are penetrating a fire separation, so be prepared for this question.

I work as the accountant in a small financial firm. I have been in service for 15 years now and I moved to this firm 2 years back because it is in my hometown.
The firm is planning to upgrade the security systems in the wake of many intrusion cases being reported in our area.We already have a cctv system and intrusion alarm in and now our next plan is to add card access control systems. With this we would be able to track anyone going in and out of the office. I had heard that to install cctv camera in the office we need permits. Is it the same for access control. Can someone guide me on this.
Thank you so much.

Upgrade the security systems, card access control permit, CCTV permits, window and door sensor

Permits and codes are totally different aspects. Permits depend on the locale. Some states do not even require the license to perform the work or permit. Different states and country has their own unique set of standards pertaining to contracting/construction/install of electrical devices within commercial or residential dwellings. With different state and local jurisdictions licensing and permit to do work varies. Check with your local building department before going ahead. To my knowledge, Data/Network commercial work and security type applications (voice/data/video) falls in some jurisdictions under newer Integrated Building Systems (IBS).

The code is required for safety purposes.

A fair amount of card access controls is installed without permits.

If we go by the International Building Code (IBC), it is mandatory to have a building permit to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical system where the installation is regulated by the code. In the case of an emergency repair, the building permit application has to be submitted on the next business day.

I would suggest you go through the 2009 International Building Code. Section 105 permits to be more specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgrade the security systems, card access control permit, CCTV permits, window and door sensor

Permits and codes are totally different aspects. Permits depend on the locale. Some states do not even require the license to perform the work or permit. Different states and country has their own unique set of standards pertaining to contracting/construction/install of electrical devices within commercial or residential dwellings. With different state and local jurisdictions licensing and permit to do work varies. Check with your local building department before going ahead. To my knowledge, Data/Network commercial work and security type applications (voice/data/video) falls in some jurisdictions under newer Integrated Building Systems (IBS).

The code is required for safety purposes.

A fair amount of card access controls is installed without permits.

If we go by the International Building Code (IBC), it is mandatory to have a building permit to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical system where the installation is regulated by the code. In the case of an emergency repair, the building permit application has to be submitted on the next business day.

I would suggest you go through the 2009 International Building Code. Section 105 permits to be more specific.

The IBC is not a referenced standard anywhere in Canada. Permits are the jurisdiction of the municipal and provincial governments through regulations at the provincial level or by-laws at the municipal level. These documents indicate when permits are required and what work is exempt from needing a permit.