• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility & townhomes question

palikona

Hi,
I’m currently working on a concept design for 15 3 bedroom townhomes on a parcel of land for my client. I’m trying to figure out if there are parking space accessibly requirements for this many townhomes. I reviewed the IBC and am not clear about determining if I need to provide any type A or B dwelling units for this few units. Does anyone have experience with this and can advise? Thank you!!

Generally speaking Townhomes are exempt from in the IBC and from FHA requirements. However it appears you are in Colorado which has its own requirements for Townhome projects with over 7 units. I would suggest you review Colorado Revised Statutes 9-5-101 thru 106 for the requirements. It appears you will be required to have 12 "accessibility points" for 15 units. Good luck.
Ken

Generally speaking Townhomes are exempt from in the IBC and from FHA requirements
Unless you have 4 units

SECTION R320
ACCESSIBILITY

R320.1 Scope.
Where there are four or more dwelling units or sleeping units in a single structure, the provisions of Chapter 11 of the International Building Code for Group R-3 shall apply.

R320.1.1 Guestrooms.
A dwelling with guestrooms shall comply with the provisions of Chapter 11 of the International Building Code for Group R-3. For the purpose of applying the requirements of Chapter 11 of the International Building Code, guestrooms shall be considered to be sleeping units.

Exception: Owner-occupied lodging houses with five or fewer guestrooms constructed in accordance with the International Residential Code are not required to be accessible.

Generally speaking Townhomes are exempt from in the IBC and from FHA requirements. However it appears you are in Colorado which has its own requirements for Townhome projects with over 7 units. I would suggest you review Colorado Revised Statutes 9-5-101 thru 106 for the requirements. It appears you will be required to have 12 "accessibility points" for 15 units. Good luck.
Ken
Hi,
I reviewed the Statues and does this mean I need 2 accessible Type A units (6 points each) for this project of 15 private units? FYI, the 15 units are divided up into 4 buildings, 1 with 5 units, 1 with 4 units, 2 with 3 units.
Thanks for your help.

Unless you have 4 units

SECTION R320
ACCESSIBILITY

R320.1 Scope.
Where there are four or more dwelling units or sleeping units in a single structure, the provisions of Chapter 11 of the International Building Code for Group R-3 shall apply.

R320.1.1 Guestrooms.
A dwelling with guestrooms shall comply with the provisions of Chapter 11 of the International Building Code for Group R-3. For the purpose of applying the requirements of Chapter 11 of the International Building Code, guestrooms shall be considered to be sleeping units.

Exception: Owner-occupied lodging houses with five or fewer guestrooms constructed in accordance with the International Residential Code are not required to be accessible.
So I have a project with 15 units, but it's divided into 4 separate buildings: 1 with 5 units, 1 with 4 units and 2 with 3 units. I'm under the IBC with this project per the code official. Are you saying I need to provide 1 accessible unit per building with 4 or more units?

Under the IBC you do not have to provide any accessible type "A" units you would need more than 20 on site. Type "B" units would be required in the 4 and 5 unit buildings unless 1107.7 applies.

Don't forget about Fair Housing and their requirements

2018 IBC
1107.6.2.2.1 Type A units.
In Group R-2 occupancies containing more than 20 dwelling units or sleeping units, at least 2 percent but not less than one of the units shall be a Type A unit. All Group R-2 units on a site shall be considered to determine the total number of units and the required number of Type A units. Type A units shall be dispersed among the various classes of units.

Exceptions:

1. The number of Type A units is permitted to be reduced in accordance with Section 1107.7.

1107.6.1.2 Type B units.
In structures with four or more dwelling units or sleeping units intended to be occupied as a residence, every dwelling unit and sleeping unit intended to be occupied as a residence shall be a Type B unit.

Exception: The number of Type B units is permitted to be reduced in accordance with Section 1107.7.

Hi,
I reviewed the Statues and does this mean I need 2 accessible Type A units (6 points each) for this project of 15 private units? FYI, the 15 units are divided up into 4 buildings, 1 with 5 units, 1 with 4 units, 2 with 3 units.
Thanks for your help.
Without having all the clues I offer a few more comments. The Colorado Statute looks at ALL buildings on a Parcel of land, short of doing "lot splits" you have 15 covered Units requiring 12 Accessibility Points. You can achieve the points requirement with any combniation you chose. Not knowing the Unit designs I would try to stay away from Type A Units because of the requirements. You may want to look into making 6 of the Units Type B Visitable Units (I'm assuming the Units are multi-story) which have relatively simple requirements (i.e. first level must be Type B accessible with a bathroom if I remember correctly).
Ken

Without having all the clues I offer a few more comments. The Colorado Statute looks at ALL buildings on a Parcel of land, short of doing "lot splits" you have 15 covered Units requiring 12 Accessibility Points. You can achieve the points requirement with any combniation you chose. Not knowing the Unit designs I would try to stay away from Type A Units because of the requirements. You may want to look into making 6 of the Units Type B Visitable Units (I'm assuming the Units are multi-story) which have relatively simple requirements (i.e. first level must be Type B accessible with a bathroom if I remember correctly).
Ken
Thank you.