• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible toilet rooms in a inaccessible building

Flexo

In a Historic Overlay District, a building owner is proposing to remodel a small M occupancy and single car garage into a restaurant. The occupancy load will be less than 40. The historic building is inaccessible to wheelchairs. Are the toilet rooms required to be accessible under the 2012 IEBC?
Thank you for your help.

I would agree with Mark...I don't do any historic stuff so there could be an exception, but technically access into the building has nothing to do with access once within the building.

YES, and here in CA a portion of the permit valuation would need to be spent on improving/providing access to the space. How much is the construction valuation?

Builder Bob's point is very important: while accessible stalls are big enough to accommodate a wheelchair, wheelchairs are not the only kind of mobility aid. There are some people with mobility impairments that can still make their way up the stairs, and the accessible stall will still be helpful for them. For example, a person with crutches can make their way up the stairs, and then the large toilet stall gives them room to place their crutches while they use the toilet.

Awareness, it is all about awareness and sensitivity to those with disabilities which come in many flavors.

I remember having to make a new restroom in the basement of a fraternity accessible 30 years ago. The reasoning for requiring accessibility on a non-accessible floor was so it would be ready if the basement was made accessible in the future.

Remember, accessibility involves more than wheelchairs.... We had to add grab bars in the restroom for my dad when he had his leg amputated below the knee.....

I wish more people would understand this. Accessibility is not just people in wheelchairs. It is for a variety of people who are physically disabled, right down to the person who had a stroke and have very little use of one side (hence no round doorknobs)