• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA and Fire Alarm

cda

Sawhorse 123
For Texas and possibly other states

Say you have a building with a fire sprinkler system and monitoring only fire alarm.

You add one audio/visual device in a suite, does that violate TAS/ADA

Advisory 215.1 General. Unlike audible alarms, visible alarms must be located within the space they serve so that the signal is visible.

https://www.ada-compliance.com/ada-compliance/215-...

If an audible alarm exists it must be accompanied by a visual too, or how would deaf know it has gone off?

If an audible alarm exists it must be accompanied by a visual too, or how would deaf know it has gone off?

Well,

We have an added requirement for a fire sprinkler monitoring system only, in like a strip mall, for one A/V in each suite.

We are being told by a couple of people, that if an A/V is installed, it must be through out the entire space per TAS/ADA.

But, if only a horn is installed it could only be one horn and not required through out,

The explanation is if a sighted person sees a visual,,, they expect visuals to be through out, even though not required.

My thoughts

But we are being told for TAS/Ada

If you put one visual in

You have to put them everywhere, in the space, as required for a full fire alarm system

Even though we only require one.

CDA - not seeing any exceptions for a singular notification device in NFPA 72 - the code addresses notification of occupants, emergency responders, etc.

Sounds like a hard nose approach to ADA and I can see potential for issues if using a limited notification device for occupant notification - the intent is good but I believe you would be better off using remote announciators that are locked out for inputs to control the actual FACP. The announciator is designed to provide information for the fire alarm/fire sprinkler system but not necessarily for public notification.

CDA - not seeing any exceptions for a singular notification device in NFPA 72 - the code addresses notification of occupants, emergency responders, etc.

Sounds like a hard nose approach to ADA and I can see potential for issues if using a limited notification device for occupant notification - the intent is good but I believe you would be better off using remote announciators that are locked out for inputs to control the actual FACP. The announciator is designed to provide information for the fire alarm/fire sprinkler system but not necessarily for public notification.

Well supposedly if we just require a horn only,

Just installing one horn, does not create an ADA problem.

$ + $ + $

Is the owner of this strip mall involved in the discussion yet ?
Their insurance provider may require A/V notification
throughout to cover themselves from potential litigation ?
Remember **cda**, ...we are not necessarily concerned

about upfront costs........"IF" litigation turned out to be
favorable to the prosecution, those upfront costs would
seem negligible after the fact.

$ + $ + $