• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA?... Apartment unit bathroom

Luis Martinez

Right now we are working in an apartment project, 24 units, 2 floors (12 units each).

My question is, since the bathrooms as existing are not ADA complaint, if we are to remodel them (moving shower, toilet, and sink) for them to have more of an open space. Would the city want them to become ADA?

The space is 10' x 5' 10'' and we cant grow more than what it is.
Also there is an existing 3' 6'' x 3' shower in set space, where we are thinking of using those walls for a closet, so we can create a more suitable shower

The building doesn't have an elevator, I'm thinking if the city wants ADA it would only be on the lower units.

Any thoughts and opinions will be gladly accepted
Thank you!

Not into ada, but do you just have to only provide one or two ada units??

There are some Californians on the site, give them a little time to reply

First, you may want to hire an Architect to help you out, as it sounds you are going to spend more money than you need to. First, "ADA" bathrooms are not required, the ADA (or accessibility provisions of the IBC) only apply to the COMMON AREAS outside of the dwelling units and the Fair Housing Act (or dwelling unit accessibility provisions of the IBC) applies to the dwelling units proper. It sounds like ONLY the first floor units have to be Type B accessible complying with Section 1004 of ANSI A117.1. Note, Type B Dwelling Units are FAR LESS stringent than "ADA" units or Accessible Units in the IBC.

Thanks for your comments guys, we already found the answer we were looking for!

Since the building was created in the 50's, it doesn't need to be ADA complaint.
only if it was built from march 1991 to present day

Welcome

SD my home town I grew up in

Just to crowded or would be there

it does get crazy from time to time, but its awesome, specially since there is a lot of good places to eat something good
just avoid renting here hahaha

Thanks for your comments guys, we already found the answer we were looking for!

Since the building was created in the 50's, it doesn't need to be ADA complaint.
only if it was built from march 1991 to present day
I strongly recommend following up with Mark's reference in post #5. It may be exempt from meeting the accessibility requirements of the Fair Housing Act but not the Existing Building Code where ¹ "dwelling or sleeping units are being altered or added, the requirements of Section 1107 of the International Building Code for Accessible (Type A) units apply to the quantity of spaces being altered or added, and where the work area is greater than 50 percent of the aggregate area of the building, the requirements of Section 1107 of the International Building Code for Type B units apply."

¹ 2012 IEBC Prescriptive Method

I strongly recommend following up with Mark's reference in post #5. It may be exempt from meeting the accessibility requirements of the Fair Housing Act but not the Existing Building Code where ¹ "dwelling or sleeping units are being altered or added, the requirements of Section 1107 of the International Building Code for Accessible (Type A) units apply to the quantity of spaces being altered or added, and where the work area is greater than 50 percent of the aggregate area of the building, the requirements of Section 1107 of the International Building Code for Type B units apply."

¹ 2012 IEBC Prescriptive Method
CA does not use chapter 11 and may or may not be exempt from th Fair Housing requirements

Mr. Martinez, hope you finish your project expediently and without costly errors. Obviously the accessibility code is more complicated than it ever was for the average Joe. Good luck, enjoy the food and hope your visit here was helpful.