• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Compliant Locks for Swimming Pool Gates? And Exit access

tbz

Silver Member
Designing (3) gates for around a resident swimming pool in a student housing location. Pool sits between 2 buildings. The barriers are being installed for separation, the question comes to the locks for the gates.

The need to meet ADA, I would prefer not to install regular every day lever locks. The unit I am looking at says it is ADA compliant, but is a push button activated lock complaint with ADA & is it also allowed for MOE egress on the gates for exiting?

This is the lock I am thinking of using I will also put the weblink after the video.

Weblink to the product: Being this is outside I was trying to keep it relatively non metallic.

As to the installation, the pool needs to be locked when closed, but the interior still needs to be able to exit. Also, my understanding is the lock can not be up at 54" because of ADA, thus the entire area needs to have screen protection from all angles with mesh less than 1/2" in openings within 18" of the edges of the lock, is this correct?

This seems more like a residential product. If the occupant load of the pool area is 50+, you will probably need panic hardware. Von Duprin has a pool modification for the 99 series, which puts the panic at code-compliant height, and the outside trim at 54 inches.

This seems more like a residential product. If the occupant load of the pool area is 50+, you will probably need panic hardware. Von Duprin has a pool modification for the 99 series, which puts the panic at code-compliant height, and the outside trim at 54 inches.
Thank you Just the direction I was looking for, I was not able to find the trim for the 54" height release on their website, do you happen to know the part number?

7. Access doors or gates in barrier walls and fences
protecting pools, spas and hot tubs shall be permitted
to comply with Section 1010.1.9.2.

Exception: Access doors or gates in barrier walls
and fences protecting pools, spas and hot tubs shall
be permitted to have operable parts of the release of
latch on self-latching devices at 54 inches (1370
mm) maximum above the finished floor or ground,
provided the self-latching devices are not also self-
locking devices operated by means of a key, electronic
opener or integral combination lock.

Last edited:

Exception: Access doors or gates in barrier walls
and fences protecting pools, spas and hot tubs shall
be permitted to have operable parts of the release of
latch on self-latching devices at 54 inches (1370
mm) maximum above the finished floor or ground,
provided the self-latching devices are not also self-
locking devices operated by means of a key, electronic
opener or integral combination lock.

Odd this section (above) is under doors but not under the gate section. I still can't find where section #7 is at. Don't know why this would be in the 2015 IBC at all because the 2015 IBC requires pools to comply by the International Pool and Spa Code. I can't find the same exception in there but only says what to do if under 54" which would not be accessible:

ISPSC 305.3.3 Latches. Where the release mechanism of the
self-latching device is located less than 54 inches (1372
mm) from grade, the release mechanism shall be located
on the pool or spa side of the gate not less than 3 inches
(76 mm) below the top of the gate, and the gate and barrier
shall not have openings greater than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm)
within 18 inches (457 mm) of the release mechanism.

In ANSI 117.1 - 2006 there nothing about gates or anything about this under door hardware. Section 1110.4.13 Swimming Pools, wading pools, hot tubs and spas also does not mention gates but does require swimming pools to be accessible.

I don't enforce ADA so I am only trying to make sence of the ICC codes.

My bad Rick...Ch 11 2015 IBC

1109.13 Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware.
Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware intended for
operation by the occupant, including switches that control
lighting and ventilation and electrical convenience outlets, in
accessible spaces, along accessible routes or as parts of
accessible elements shall be accessible.
Exceptions:
1. Operable parts that are intended for use only by service
or maintenance personnel shall not be required
to be accessible.
2. Electrical or communication receptacles serving a
dedicated use shall not be required to be accessible.
3. Where two or more outlets are provided in a kitchen
above a length of counter top that is uninterrupted
by a sink or appliance, one outlet shall not be
required to be accessible.
4. Floor electrical receptacles shall not be required to
be accessible.
5. HVAC diffusers shall not be required to be accessible.
6. Except for light switches, where redundant controls
are provided for a single element, one control in
each space shall not be required to be accessible.

While we are on the subject do accessible gates need to have the same rules as doors? ANSI 117.1 doesn't say anything about gates except for one section while the IBC does have a section on gates.

1. Clear width
2. Maneuvering clearances.
3. Door Hardware (no tight gasping, pinching, or twisting of wrist)
4. Closing speed
5. Door-opening force
6. Door surface (smooth surface 10" from floor)

The only thing I can find about gates is:
404.2.1 Double-Leaf Doors and Gates.

Interested in what ADAGUY has to say too.

While we are on the subject do accessible gates need to have the same rules as doors? ANSI 117.1 doesn't say anything about gates except for one section while the IBC does have a section on gates.

The 2017 edition of A117.1 has been updated to include the word "gates" in the door-related sections. This edition has not yet been referenced by the IBC, but the 2009 edition says: "404.2 Manual Doors. Manual doors and doorways, and
manual gates, including ticket gates, shall comply with Section 404.2." The 2010 ADA standards specifically reference gates in the individual sections. I believe the intent is for gates on an accessible route to be subject to the same requirements as doors on an accessible route.

Response:

The ongoing disconnect and enforcement of the ADA continues to be a "legal" issue. Federal government created a minimum standard with the belief that states would issues enforcement mechanisms with which to make it local law to comply. They chose to make those with disabilities to be the "cops" so to speak but lack the resources to follow up on all but the largest instances of noncompliance.
If state AG's had accepted and enacted a responsibility to require upgrading local codes/ code enforcement to handle enforcement locally (much as Massachusetts did in 1967 (prior to the ADA)) and not relied upon the A117.1 we wouldn't be continuing to point the finger at code.

Consider that if barriers still exist in facilities constructed new or remodeled since the ADA, that were required to be compliant, is it not then the duty of local code enforcement to respond to complaints for noncompliance with code? and if local codes using A117.1 are less than the minimums of ADASAD, is not the States AG's then not in compliance with federal law?

My duty as an building code officer is to follow the law of the state. In PA we have a Uniiform Construiton Code. It diesn't say anything about ADA, ADASAD or responding to any complaints at all about anything.

ADASAD and ANSI 117.1 are probably 98% the same. ADAAG and ADASAD were both based on the ANSI A117.1. The feds just made a few modifications and additions. Most of them have been incorporated elsewhere in the IBC or updated ANSI A117.1. ADAAG & ADASAD contain some operating provisions which are outside the scope of a building code. Actually, ANSI A117.1 goes beyond ADASAD in a few instances, such as vertical grab bars and larger turning circles.

ANSI is "free to exceed" but not be "less than" ADASAD, therein lies the cunumdrum in many states.

Although we do not enforce ADA, great strides have been made to make sure ADA and ANSI A117.1 are more compatible, however, ADA is still the responsibility of the contractor, designer, and developer - and decisions concerning accessibility (such as should the second floor of a fire house be accessible) can be supported by searching DOJ website for interpretations - The answer by the way, is it is required for a second story of a fire house to be accessible- letter of interpretation from DOJ/ ADA dated February,19,1999