• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Landing at Mezzanine in lobby of 10 story residential building?

Anonymous283

After much research of a topic that should seem pretty straightforward, I am unable to find a definitive answer to the requirement of having a landing at a mezzanine inside a lobby space for a 10 story residential building in terms of ADA. The mezzanine serves as a open leasing office which could have a secondary area in the lobby below for ada purposes if advisory 206.2.3 is somehow applicable. Will an elevator landing be required? What if there are 2 elevators next to each other - are both required to land at the mezzanine? I appreciate any help

Per the IBC....

1104.4 Multistory Buildings and Facilities
At least one accessible route shall connect each accessible story and mezzanine in multilevel buildings and facilities.

Exceptions:

1. An accessible route is not required to stories and mezzanines that have an aggregate area of not more than 3,000 square feet (278.7 m2) and are located above and below accessible levels. This exception shall not apply to:
    1. Multiple tenant facilities of Group M occupancies containing five or more tenant spaces used for the sales or rental of goods and where at least one such tenant space is located on a floor level above or below the accessible levels;
    2. Stories or mezzanines containing offices of health care providers (Group B or I);
    3. Passenger transportation facilities and airports (Group A-3 or B); or
    4. Government buildings.
  2. Stories or mezzanines that do not contain accessible elements or other spaces as determined by Section 1107 or 1108 are not required to be served by an accessible route from an accessible level.
  3. In air traffic control towers, an accessible route is not required to serve the cab and the floor immediately below the cab.
  4. Where a two-story building or facility has one story or mezzanine with an occupant load of five or fewer persons that does not contain public use space, that story or mezzanine shall not be required to be connected by an accessible route to the story above or below.
So in the end, yes, the elevator shall stop at the mezzanine, unless less than 3000sf (and not a health care provider) or has an occupant load less than 5.

IMHO
If the leasing office has meeting/leasing accommodations on the first floor, access may not be necessary. But they could run into issues with equal employment, not being able to be employed there, due to non-access, is a lawsuit waiting to happen. they may want to talk to their risk management people. (even in H*ll)

Thanks for the replies. According to 1104.4, I wouldn't need a landing but this project is in Florida so it doesn't have chapter 11. I guess that means to directly go to the ADA standards, which don't have those exceptions.

Thanks for the replies. According to 1104.4, I wouldn't need a landing but this project is in Florida so it doesn't have chapter 11. I guess that means to directly go to the ADA standards, which don't have those exceptions.
You may want to look at the Florida Accessibility Code,
206.2.3 Multi-Story Buildings and Facilities. At least one accessible route shall connect each story
and mezzanine in multistory buildings and facilities .
http://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/...Florida_Accessibility_Code_2012_ICC_FINAL.pdf

Advisory 206.2.3 Multi-Story Buildings and Facilities. Spaces and elements located on a level not required to be served by an accessible route must fully comply with this code. While a mezzanine may be a change in level, it is not a story. If an accessible route is required to connect stories within a building or facility, the accessible route must serve all mezzanines.