• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Airless paint spraying advice

ameliasolis

By a stroke of good fortune, I've just acquired a nearly new very high pressure airless paint spraying rig, complete with gun, pump, hoses etc. According to the (rather basic) instructions, it looks to be fairly easy to use, but I've zero experience with this sort of spray kit; all I've used in the past is conventional spray guns and HVLP.

I've had a look around YouTube, and there seem to be loads of American videos on spraying house interiors, but all the ones I've seen are a bit thin on detail. It seems that this method of painting is common in the US, but not used as much here.

I want to use this to paint the inside of our garage with white emulsion, as it looks as if using a high pressure (as in around 200 to 250 bar) sprayer is a very quick way of covering a fairly large area. Has anyone here used one of these things, and if so, are there any words of wisdom that could be shared?

By a stroke of good fortune, I've just acquired a nearly new very high pressure airless paint spraying rig, complete with gun, pump, hoses etc. According to the (rather basic) instructions, it looks to be fairly easy to use, but I've zero experience with this sort of spray kit; all I've used in the past is conventional spray guns and HVLP.

I've had a look around YouTube, and there seem to be loads of American videos on spraying house interiors, but all the ones I've seen are a bit thin on detail. It seems that this method of painting is common in the US, but not used as much here.

I want to use this to paint the inside of our garage with white emulsion, as it looks as if using a high pressure (as in around 200 to 250 bar) sprayer is a very quick way of covering a fairly large area. Has anyone here used one of these things, and if so, are there any words of wisdom that could be shared?
thanks in advance for any help

a very quick way of covering a fairly large area.
Sure is. since there’s no air, overspray and mist in the air is a minor problem. Works best with a 5 gal bucket of paint, because there’s a considerable amount in the hose, and you can paint for a long time. You will get the best finish if you spray on the paint and have someone going behind you rolling it out, unless you’re painting something like exterior siding where you don’t need a smooth finish. You will either need a spray shield, or do lots of taping to keep from spraying adjacent surfaces.

It does have one very dangerous potential … keep it pointed away from yourself at all times. The pressure is high enough that you can inject paint under yiur skin.