• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

All doors out of a bldg required to be code compliant exits?

akelly, welcome to the forum!
It really helps is you tell us (1) where the project is located, so we know which code/jurisdiction is applicable, and (2) whether it is (a) new, (b) existing with no changes, or (c) existing with an addition or alteration proposed.

If you have a space that requires 2 exit doors but has 12 exit doors, then only 2 doors need to be made "code compliant" with the provisions IBC chapter 10 'Means Of Egress'. You certainly would not have exit signs on the other 10 doors if you don't intend to use them for exiting.

Since this was posted in the Accessibility forum, perhaps you meant to ask, "do the other 10 convenience doors in excess of those required by CBC chapter 10 need to be made mobility accessible per CBC chapter 11B?"

Assuming it is in Sacramento or somewhere in California, CBC 11B-206.4.1 for new buildings has a couple of exceptions:

View attachment 8279

ADA is a separate but related issue that you will want to consider as well. It will not be enforced by your city building official.
ADA Standard 206.4.1 says:
View attachment 8280

Let us know if your building is existing - - there may be a different response for existing vs. new.
Thank you for this, remember if it looks like a door it must comply with ADA

remember if it looks like a door it must comply with ADA
ADAguy, please provide a code or regulatory reference that backs up this statement.

In post #5, I provided a reference that indicated 40% of all entry doors are not required by ADA to be accessible.

Last edited:
ADASAD 206.4.1 Public Entrances requires at least 60 percent of all public entrances to comply with 404 (be accessible). ADASAD 207.1 refers to IBC (2000 edition section 1003.2.13.4 or 2003 edition section 1007) for means of egress.

I generally agree TMurray, but having been on design team on projects in many jurisdictions, the answer to the OPs question "Do you find in some jurisdictions that you are required to make all of those doors code compliant exits?" remains yes.

I guess if you only work in one or a relatively few jurisdictions, not much of an issue. You learn or decide what the interpretation is.
if "not a signed exit", it is "still a door"; must not a door still comply with the requirements for a door; as to: min/max size, manuvering approach, hardware?

Always an interesting question. Do elements not required have to meet the same criteria as if they were required. If I have met all requirements, can I add a 24" wide door for convenience?

bill1952, I provided one code and one ADA citation in post #5 showing where not all exit doors are required to be accessible to persons with disabilities. If you have an alternate citation, please provide it.
A door is a door with an intended purpose, to enter an exit a space (unless excepted). Code sets minimums in Chapter 11b & 10) for them, exclusive of whether they are egress or not. Ask an insurance company if they will deny coverage for excessive doors that don't comply?

A door is a door with an intended purpose, to enter an exit a space (unless excepted). Code sets minimums in Chapter 11b & 10) for them, exclusive of whether they are egress or not. Ask an insurance company if they will deny coverage for excessive doors that don't comply?
Example:
If a project is required by ADA to have a minimum of 60% of its doors accessible, and the other 40% don't have to be accessible,
and it is built with 60% of its doors accessible, 40% not accessible,
- - then 100% of its doors comply with the minimum requirements of ADA.
So I will be asking my insurance company: "will you provide coverage for ADA-compliant door arrangement?"

Likewise if it is compliant with the minimum requirements of the code.

So this started with a warehouse with 12 doors, but only 2 required. I sense the consensus here is that the 10 not required doors don't have to meet any requirements (except perhaps fire resistance). So are 60% of the 2 (both) or the 12 (8) required to be accessible?

o this started with a warehouse with 12 doors, but only 2 required. I sense the consensus here is that the 10 not required doors don't have to meet any requirements (except perhaps fire resistance). So are 60% of the 2 (both) or the 12 (8) required to be accessible?
Depenes if they are entrance doors or exit doors or both. only 60% of entrance doors need to be accessible entrances and only 2 exit doors are requred to be accessible means of egress