• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Alteration to existing B occupancy below an R3 occupancy

Alteration to existing B occupancy below an R3 occupancy

• IEBC 2015

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Alteration Level 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mss28

I am making some alteration to an existing pizza shop which is a 950 sf B occupancy at main floor level. There is a 960sf basement at lower level and residential 990 sf R3 occupancy at upper level. None of the spaces have sprinkler system and required separations per IBC table 508, and main level pizza entrance is not HC accessible due to 30" rise from street level. Alterations only occurs in B occupancy and basement. The client wants add some walls and plumbing fixtures at main level, and locate a walking cooler and some dry storage at the basement which I consider as S1 occupancy (not sure about the existing classification of basement). Fire Marshall is requiring a separation or sprinkler system between basement and business floor. I am not very familiar with the existing building codes, but planning to use Work Area Compliance Method, Alteration Level 3.

1. Do we need to provide fire separation between S1 & B and B & R3?
2. Is a sprinkler system required at each floor level?
2. Do we need to provide a HC accessible ramp at the main entrance?

IBC 2018 and IEBC 2015

Any input will be greatly appritiated.

Welcome to the BCF. Sunday tends to be a pretty slow day around here so this thread may not see much action until tomorrow.

Welcome. I don't understand the choices in your poll. Was the poll placed by accident? It does not make any sense but your questions are excellent in the message.

1 &2....Most of your questions are going to be from the CT fire code as the IEBC is mostly silent on these things (from what you are saying your scope of work is)...The one section you might want to look at is IEBC 804.2.3 for the basement because that could require the sprinklers...Remember, the FM in CT has their minimum code which they would cite as a violation (at any time) and then the IEBC handles the construction upgrades....

Welcome. I don't understand the choices in your poll. Was the poll placed by accident? It does not make any sense but your questions are excellent in the message.
Sorry, I should have been more clear on my description. There is an existing pizza shop in a two story building. Ground floor is the pizza shop and upper floor is used as a residential. I am making some alterations such as adding new sinks, new type 2 hood, counter and half high walls separating cooking area from the waiting area in the pizza shop. The building also have a basement and each floor level is less than 1,000 sf. The new owner wants to remove existing walk-in cooler from ground floor and locate a new one in the basement. When we submit our draft plan to FM, he commented that walk-in cooler exceeds %10 of floor area and a 2 HR horizontal separation or fire sprinkler system was required in the basement if used as a storage. I think he considered basement as B occupancy and walk-in cooler as a storage being accessory to business.

On the accessible entrance:

CHAPTER 9
ALTERATIONS—LEVEL 3
906.1 General. A building, facility or element that is altered
shall comply with this section and Sections 705 and 806.

806.1 General. A building, facility, or element that is altered
shall comply with this section and Section 705.

705.1 General. A facility that is altered shall comply with the
applicable provisions in Sections 705.1.1 through 705.1.14,
and Chapter 11 of the International Building Code unless it is
technically infeasible. Where compliance with this section is
technically infeasible, the alteration shall provide access to
the maximum extent that is technically feasible.
A facility that is constructed or altered to be accessible
shall be maintained accessible during occupancy.
Exceptions:
1. The altered element or space is not required to be on
an accessible route unless required by Section 705.2.

function. Where an alteration affects the accessibility to a, or
contains an area of, primary function, the route to the primary
function area shall be accessible. The accessible route to the
primary function area shall include toilet facilities and drinking
fountains serving the area of primary function.
Exceptions:
1. The costs of providing the accessible route are not
required to exceed 20 percent of the costs of the
alterations affecting the area of primary function.

1 &2....Most of your questions are going to be from the CT fire code as the IEBC is mostly silent on these things (from what you are saying your scope of work is)...The one section you might want to look at is IEBC 804.2.3 for the basement because that could require the sprinklers...Remember, the FM in CT has their minimum code which they would cite as a violation (at any time) and then the IEBC handles the construction upgrades....
Since you are from CT, if the Bstm was being used for minor Storage, does your Code consider the ACCESORY Aspect of Space Use? I could see the expense of sprinklers if the Bstm had some employees doing Food Prep etc. but as just a walkin box and some dry stroage doesn't seem like a trigger situation for a pizza Shop ( no Grill for steak sandwiches with a Commercial Grease Hood / Ansel