• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Alterations to hotel

arcadia

Some questions about a hotel project in Tennessee. It has 103 rooms, but only 5 ADA rooms (ADA requires 7 - 5 without roll-in showers, and 2 with roll-in showers). which are all on the first floor and in one wing. It will now be converted into an extended stay with the addition of a kitchenette and refrigerator. The new appliances will have the requisite clearances. The laundry area will also be expanded and will have the requisite clearances. The interiors may be changed. By and large, these are the alterations. They don't involve moving/constructing/demo-ing walls.
My questions are:
1. Will these alterations trigger the whole facility brought up to ADA compliance for A) Number of ADA rooms; B) Dispersion of the rooms across the facility by floor and room type; C) Provision of roll-in showers; D) Swimming pool access alterations
2. Does the entire facility need to comply with FHA? If so, do we need to look only at clearances as in Type A and Type B dwelling units (which may not be difficult with the clearances)?
Thanks in advance for your responses!

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Please explain what you mean by "extended stay" - - for how long?
Do you believe these units will now qualify as "residential dwelling units"?

From 2010 ADAS:

1650644487305.png
1650644520669.png

1650644402708.png
1650644434687.png

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Please explain what you mean by "extended stay" - - for how long?
Do you believe these units will now qualify as "residential dwelling units"?

From 2010 ADAS:

View attachment 8862
View attachment 8863

View attachment 8860
View attachment 8861
Thank you for the welcome :)

Thanks for the question. The operator said today that there will not be a cap to the duration of stay, and has heard of another extended stay by the same brand where a person has lived for years! So I think this does qualify to be "residential dwelling units". I'll review it again from that viewpoint and come back with questions if any. Thanks so much for your input! Extended stays are tricky, lots of grey.

The code recognizes the primary purpose of a building. R1 has "primarily transient" If the stated purpose is for transient housing there is no dwelling unit. I have friends that stay at Extended Stay America for several months and the company rents the unit on a monthly or weekly basis. There might be tax differences between R-1 and R-2.

Thank you for the welcome :)

Thanks for the question. The operator said today that there will not be a cap to the duration of stay, and has heard of another extended stay by the same brand where a person has lived for years! So I think this does qualify to be "residential dwelling units". I'll review it again from that viewpoint and come back with questions if any. Thanks so much for your input! Extended stays are tricky, lots of grey.
This may sound somewhat subjective, but the definition in ADA of transient lodging is accommodations that that are "primarily" "short-term" in nature.
  • "Primarily" means that there is the potential for 49.99% of guests to be long-term in nature (whatever that means).
  • "Short term" is not defined and is therefore open to subjective interpretation. In California, our state defines "short term" as "generally 30 days or less", but again the word "generally" allows for unspecified exceptions to the 30 day limit.
If you are the design professional, you can ask the operation if their intent is to provide "primarily short-term" accommodations, and get their response in writing to paste onto your plans.

"Uline" made a combo unit for single apts that could be installed in place of a desk unit, It can be done without moving walls.

"Uline" made a combo unit for single apts that could be installed in place of a desk unit, It can be done without moving walls.

Something as small as this (for non-accessible units):
https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/C39ELGLASSBK.html

1651082882126.png

I'm hoping at some point they start making these with induction cooktops. Conventional electric cooktops are usually too much of an energy draw for the limited number of circuits serving existing hotel rooms.