• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Amazing what you learn by watching TV

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just sat down to watch the news and saw a news report about one of the municipalities that I take care of. Apparently a group just had $60,000 worth of playground equipment delivered today and they were installing it. First time I heard about this. You would think I would have at least got a phone call about this happening.

So, what code do you inspect playground equipment under? I'm not being a smat-a$$, just that the only time I applied code to playground stuff, was when we had a rec center come in, and had a huge natatorium with a bunch of slides, play/spray/splash stuff, I did apply IBC. But outdoor play equipment? Not sure how it fits..........

Never looked at that before for accessibility, just ramps, walks, bathrooms in our parks being constructed, just never play ground equipment

Guess what I learned about a few weeks ago on the front page of the local paper - The newspaper was bragging about their new mongo-sized press, installed in a group of former rooms that required demolition, new cmu walls, 480VAC electrical, etc. and they had a picture of the workers installing it, on the front page. Gee... they hadn't applied for any permits, and the guy with the sledge hammer in the picture was the marketing director, not a licensed contractor!

Moral of the story... if you're going to do work without permits and use illegal contractor/labor, don't advertise it on the front page of the paper!

vp,

Were any fines / penalites assessed for that un-permitted work? :confused: