• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ambulatory Accessible Compartment - Absolute Dimension

Camilo Vasquez

Per Section 604.10 of A117.1-2009, the width of the ambulatory stall must be 36 inches. Per the commentary, the 36 inches is an absolute dimension. So, lets say the ambulatory stall provides a tile base along the perimeter of the stall - would you agree that the 36 inch must be measured between the tile base?

If forced to choose, I’d measure to the walls at the top of the grab bars. The basis of the specified width dimension is to position both grab bars within reach.

Careful with face dimensions as sometimes tile will be added to the face before grab bars.

I know you are asking about ANSI 2009, but I believe the latest version of ANSI lists the clearance as 35" min and 37" max.
It's definitely that way in the latest ADA Standards 604.8.2.1.