• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

America's Lack of Vision?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
My takeaway may not be the same as yours. There is a point in which immediate gratification for profit outweighs future planning. Is this a case of save a penny, spend a dollar?

Without doing any other research, just taking the “facts” in the video ... i would say it has not failed, like the video title asks. At the end they say it has a 12 yr payback ... seems reasonable for the size of the building and the projected life. The chinese gentleman who is the manager ... says the occupancy is 70%. and it uses significantly less energy. overall sounds like the typical chinese philosophy of long term planning.

Interesting

Fascinated by people that come up with these ideas

More with the ones that can design it.

I guess just like life, if you do not try,

You will not know if it works or fails

Interesting concept, if I understood correctly, (I was also watching the new on TV) it's design is based on a 12 yr payback. The answer lies in who funds it, and if they have the stones, and capital to wait it out. I will have to watch it again and really pay attention. Cool building though!

It hasn't fallen down or been abandoned, so it hasn't failed. It may be impractical by speculative real estate standards, but it might also be able to attract higher rents. A Mercedes or Lexus isn't a failure as a car just because a less expensive Ford can carry as many passengers and luggage.

"Form derives from Function" without computers this would not have been possible. FLW foresaw these towers pre WWII.
It also comes down to location, location, location.