• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anchor Bolt edge distance

Mark K,

I meant a P.E. firm. The actual inspection can be done by the technical assistant as with many other special inspections. Sorry.

In Northern California special inspections are typically performed by inspection agencies that hire and dispatch special inspectors. The inspection agencies work with the numerous local jurisdictions to verify that the special inspectors dispatched are acceptable to the local jurisdictions. The inspection agencies have a registered engineer who reviews and signs off on the official reports.

The design firms typically do not have qualified special inspectors on staff and prefer to have the special inspections performed by an inspection agency.

While there is no good reason that the anchor bolts are near the edge, it is difficult to show that such bolts are not sufficient.

Paraphrasing the ACI 318-08 commentary

Limited spalling does not necessarily mean the structure (member) will fail when loaded (wind, seismic); Especially when it is a repetitive member. It will reduce load values, but not necessarily a reason to reject the work.

Spalling in the absence of a well understood extreme load would be a reason for concern.

If we were talking about reinforcing steel that is developed beyond the spalled region I would agree that the capacity was essentially the same as before the loading. But in the case of anchor bolts any spalling of the side of the concrete footing would call into question the capacity of the bolt. Such spalling would indicate that a brittle failure was likely.

Thanks for all the info.

As far as I can tell, there is no specific verbiage related to centering the bolt on the plate-even though we all agree there should be.

Closest would be "positively anchored", and I could always ask for an engineer to evaluate if they argued correcting it.

I just thought it strange every other dimension regarding the anchor bolt is present.

I dont get to read this board as much anymore due to how busy I have been in the field, but I do want to say I am grateful for its existence.

Aaron

TimNY said:
I would require SI for drill and epoxy.. But if you can use Titans instead I wouldn't require SI.Retrofit is a labor saver in a lot of cases.
Depending on the jurisdiction and the BO - Titans can require SI as well (I know, I did SI on many of them). Oh, and one of the easiest SI around, loved getting those.

mmmarvel said:
Depending on the jurisdiction and the BO - Titans can require SI as well (I know, I did SI on many of them). Oh, and one of the easiest SI around, loved getting those.
I've seen more non-compliant Titan installations than epoxy - too closely spaced and lack of edge clearance is common.

Behind the counter, I used to see them submitted based on ultimate which at the time was the only thing Titan published.

The reason I asked the question about epoxied bolts requiring special inspection is because of the high start up cost of a special inspection account. In order for a contractor to arrange to receive a special inspection, in this town, he'd have to first pay a $350.00 new account fee which includes up to three hours of on site time and then $200.00 for a final letter. It'd take a really unusual layout before I think the epoxy/special inspection would pencil out. Second time around it'd cost $55.00 per hour, est three hours, plus the $200.00 letter.

As long as I can get 'em right, I'll keep working around 'em.

Bill

Since adhesive anchors are not addressed in the code the building code has no formal requirements for them. These products are approved in accordance with IBC Section 105.11 with the building official free to require special inspections as he sees fit.

Because installation is sensitive for this product it is appropriate to require special inspections.

When adhesive anchors are used because the contractor does not want to locate anchor bolts before the pour the added cost of special inspections may create an incentive to use cast in place anchor bolts.

Mark K said:
Since adhesive anchors are not addressed in the code the building code has no formal requirements for them. These products are approved in accordance with IBC Section 105.11 with the building official free to require special inspections as he sees fit.Because installation is sensitive for this product it is appropriate to require special inspections.

When adhesive anchors are used because the contractor does not want to locate anchor bolts before the pour the added cost of special inspections may create an incentive to use cast in place anchor bolts.
Titans are not part of the code either.

Installation of them is sensitive - If they are placed to closely together or in oversized holes they will not perform well.

It's just that they look like so much like screws that most people don't realize they cannot be used like them.

brudgers said:
Titans are not part of the code either.Installation of them is sensitive - If they are placed to closely together or in oversized holes they will not perform well.

It's just that they look like so much like screws that most people don't realize they cannot be used like them.
Also, if they're too close to the edge they'll blow it out.

In reviewing the discussions on this topic, is the conclusion that there is no specific

code section ( from the IRC ) that specifies a minimum distance from the sole plate

edges? Or, is there something from the referenced ASCE 07 that does indeed

mandate minimum distances away from the edges?

Thanks !

the IRC commentary is silent on the issue (which is odd to me); lateral to the grain the wood will have a little more strength than parallel to the grain so there may be an engineering reason it's not addressed... or no one has considered that someone would put the bolts any place but in the center of the plate (my vote).

globe trekker said:
In reviewing the discussions on this topic, is the conclusion that there is no specific code section ( from the IRC ) that specifies a minimum distance from the sole plate edges? Or, is there something from the referenced ASCE 07 that does indeed mandate minimum distances away from the edges? Thanks ! .
ACI and NDS as incorporated by reference.

I ran into a bunch of it today.

DSCN1519.jpg

The National Design Specification for Wood Construction (NDS), for loads perpendicular to the grain, states the minimum edge distance is four times the diameter of the bolt (measured to the center of the bolt).

One more reason to not build with 2X4's.....

kyhowey said:
The National Design Specification for Wood Construction (NDS), for loads perpendicular to the grain, states the minimum edge distance is four times the diameter of the bolt (measured to the center of the bolt).