• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

and/or

rktect 1

Gold Member
Appendix G of the 2006 IRC.

9.2 Doors with direct access to the pool through that wall shall be equipped with an alarm which produces an audible warning when the door AND/OR it's screen, if present, are opened.

So. We were discussing this and the thought here is that the "and/or" means that not only does the sliding or swinging door get an alarm but the screen sliding or swinging door as well. Not just one or the other. The "or" throws me a bit. Is there someplace that would only have a screen door? No solid door behind it?

I interpret that as meaning:

If you have all your windows and doors open in the summer, the act of opening the screen door would be required to sound the warning.

If the door is opened OR already open, AND the screen is opened, the warning must sound.

mj

I agree with mjesse. Protect the children and dogs who can't swim (I have 2 of those).

This thread bring up some interesting questions.

In my neck of the woods; screen doors are not usually installed prior to CofOs. Screen doors are usually added by the homeowner after they have moved in; and, most likely would not have this safety device installed on the screened door.

1. Is there a "need" for annual pool safety inspections?

2. Would a homeowner; that had no idea that the safety devise was required on the added screen door; be criminally and/or financially liable for a drowning where the screen door did not have this safety devise?

3. Should all screen doors in retail stores have a warning label; conserning the saftey devise?

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Bob,

1. Not sure that the AHJ should be conducting them. Maybe the

insuring company "could" include some type of language in to their

policy.

2. Yes! The homeowner / property owner is always liable.

Ignorance of the law is... well, you know! Pools typically require

an increased awareness to their owners of their liability / exposure.

3. The retail stores probably should have some type of sign, or

language in to their product literature.

mjesse,

Good interpretation! :smile:

So do you include doggy doors in your alarms. We'd taken out the alarm thingy from the code as it's been that way since 91.

Did have a person replace a manufactured home and got the notice her pool fencing didn't meet code back then or now. Should heard the screamming on that last week.

The screen door in my opinion would be the storm door. Can't see anyone that has a pool with weather cool enough to leave the doors open...of course I have only lived in Texas. I guess you guys North of the Red River are used to the cooler temperatures and leave your doors open when it's 30 outside!!

We have some interesting things here going with pools. We allow storm doors without alarms IF the knob/handle is 54" high then all is well. Of course self closing/latching too.

On the fence normally slick side out but on occasions we allow the pool contractor to install a 2X3 ripped on a 45 degree angle and install on the rails so it is unclimbable.

I believe that requirement is just about not possible to keep up with. Who will check and see if the alarm is still working after CO. Who wants some inspector coming around once a year to check out the door. You don't need a permit to put a storm door on your house or to change it.

Government is to far into our lives. We can't regulate stupid. One thread about kids falling out windows in a dorm. Another about the height of a window sill in residential use. Then the parents put the bed in front of the window and a child falls out. The merry go round just spins faster.

If you have a pool take the responsibility needed. If you have kids, be a parent! Take care of them. We have to take some of this on ourselves.

Very good RJJ..

I once did the final on a pool; the homeowner (not the contractor) hooked the required alarm back up while I was there so it worked. I explained to him why it was important for him to keep it operational - he replyed that it was just him, his wife and their dog - who all swim. The patio door opened into a screened pool enclosure (without doors to the back yard). He had no intention of leaving it connected. It worked, I approved it (and I'm sure he disconnected it again once the front door hit my butt).

As long as it's there when you are, and unless you really need revenue from some kind of maintenance program (ok.. you make an appointment - it'll work), you're just wasting everyone's time. It's the homeowner's problem.

I suppose we can restrict individual rights to death. Pools; even small wading pools; can be dangerous to toddlers. It's a horrible thing to find a small child or grandchild who drowned in your pool. Some people have been charged with a crime; but, I believe you can't punish a person more than they are already, if a loved one or a strangers child; drowns in their pool.

Here is one of numerous web pages on the subject;

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2001/07/levittpoolsvsguns.php

Even a doggy/kitty door is dangerous if you have a small child;

http://www.petaccessdangers.org/pad/HELPFUL-RESOURCES/PAD-News

Scary stuff,

Uncle Bob

sure is scary! My brother lost a dog in his own pool. Duke was a fine dog just one of those big old basset hounds that swam like a rock. He did fine on the bottom as long as he could walk out. One time hunting some pheasant as we waded a stream Duke Splashed in and walked across under water till he reach the other side. Guess he could hold his breath. My brother said when he came out the other side "Duke your supposed to swim" Old duke just just gave him a dumb look and went on.

If it is in the code we must enforce it. Just feel we are getting carried away.

My two cents -

This section might also refer to the 6' sliding glass door that opens onto the deck and pool. They come equipped with sliding screen doors that last at least one season.

Sue, where 40 degrees is t-shirt & shorts weather :razz:

Whatever the last defense is - that's where the alarm needs to be.

I wouldn't have a pool... hole in the ground into which one throws money.

Neither the slider screen nor most storm/screen doors meet the requirements for a pool barrier...

If you have an alarm on the glass slider and one also on the screen slider and you keep the glass one open on a warm day how do you keep the alarm on the glass one from going constantly?