• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another foam plastic question

Francis Vineyard

In the corner of the cellar a new room was added to store batteries for a PV system. There is no opening into the interior of the house; though another part of the cellar is being renovated into a finished basement with a door that will open into the cellar to gain access to the door of the battery room. There is also another door that goes to the outside from the cellar.

To reiterate this room in of itself is outside the thermal envelope of the house but inside the exterior walls.

Question; is there a requirement for a thermal or ignition barrier for the Spray Foam Plastic insulation inside this battery room?

Nothing in residential code

This is in the CBC 2010[F] 907.2.23 Battery rooms. An automatic smoke detection system shall be installed in areas containing stationary storage battery systems with a liquid capacity of more than 50 gallons (189 L).

Good question.. I would say yes, it is required.

Per R314.1.2 [2003] "..shall be separated from the interior of the building" I would take this to mean that if you sprayed it in your unconditioned garage, it would need the barrier. This would include a detached garage ("...and their accessory structures").

By that logic, I would require the barrier. Since it's not a crawlspace (or maybe it is, what's the head height?) or an attic, it wouldn't qualify for the ignition barrier per the "mechanical access only" exception.

Tim, thanks for the quote; help me think this through; my opinion is the gypsum/brick walls of the finished basement area will provide the interior thermal barrier separation from the battery room in the cellar same as when the foam is separated by an attic ceiling or floor above the crawl. The answer here is an ignition barrier on the inside and outside walls per R702-R315; 2006 IRC; similarly with servicing of utilities in attics and crawlspace.

Mark H, the quantity is far below the threshold of [f] Tables 307 and section 414 of IBC; but I'm not an expert in this area.

Hope I’m not overlooking anything else, I appreciate your help.

My interp would be the battery room is part of the building. The interior of the battery room is the interior of the building.

I don't have 2006 handy, but unless there are other exceptions, I believe the ignition barrier only applies when it is a crawlspace or an attic. If head height makes it a basement, then the ignition barrier would not be an option.

I see your logic, in that it is similar to the attic/crawlspace exception.

And yet ANOTHER foam question , , I might be losing my mind but I thought there was a section the exempted a thermal barrier or ignition barrier for spray foam in the band/rim joist area, but i cannot find it ANYWHERE . . . I do see the exemption for the sole plate. Am I dreaming?

2006 314.5.11 Foam plastic shall be permitted to be spray applied to a sill plate and header without the thermal barrier..

There are a few conditions. There is also Figure 314.5.11 showing the foam applied to the band joist.

Here is what TimNY is referring to I could not post the drawing

BUILDING PLANNING

flame spread and smoke-developed requirements of Section R315.

v Foam plastic used as interior finish must be approved through Section R314.6. This means that the foam plastic material has been tested to eliminate the ther­mal barrier in accordance with NFPA 286 and the ac­ceptance criteria of Section R315.4, FM4880, UL 1040 or UL 1715, or fire tests related to actual end-use con­figurations (including the foam plastic thickness). The foam plastic must also meet the flame spread index re­quirements of Section R315 (FS < 200).

R314.5.11 Sill plates and headers. Foam plastic shall be per­mitted to be spray applied to a sill plate and header without the thermal barrier specified in Section R314.4 subject to all of the following:

1. The maximum thickness of the foam plastic shall be 31/4 inches (83 mm).

2. The density of the foam plastic shall be in the range of 1.5 to 2.0 pounds per cubic foot (24 to 32 kg/m3).

3. The foam plastic shall have a flame spread index of 25 or less and an accompanying smoke developed index of 450 or less when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84.

v No thermal barrier is required when a foam plastic is spray applied to the sill plate and joist header when all of the conditions listed in Section R314.5.11 are met. Because foam plastic insulation in this application is left exposed, the three conditions listed [thickness < 31/4 inches (82.6 mm), density 1.5 to 2.0 pcf (24 to 32 kg/m3), FS < 25 and SD < 450] control the spray ap­plied foam plastic used in this application (see Com­mentary Figure R314.5.11).

I guess I didn't realize a "header" was a "joist header" was a "rim/band joist". I'd better stick to the pictures!

I don't have a figure, where are you finding that? Is it in the code book or a referance? Thanks , , ,