• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Any experience with Grants for Building/Fire Code Departments (County)

Combo

Has anyone had any luck with applying for and obtaining grant funding from any sources? I am relatively new in my BO/FM position and responsible for a large, sparsely populated rural/agricultural area. With that, funding is minimal. With that, equipment, technology, software, vehicles, codebooks/reference materials have become severely outdated, inoperable, and/or nonexistent. I want to get the ball rolling and build a good foundation from scratch, as development can only go up from where it is now.

We are virtually unable to enforce the adopted property maintenance code due to budget constraints. I'm not too concerned with that right now as it's not pressing, but it will become a more significant issue in the future.

I'm hoping someone, anyone, has had luck with outside funding sources and could shed some light. (I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, maybe give it a little grease) :)

I suggest reaching out to ICC, if they don’t currently have any availability I’d ask if they can offer a resource they may be aware of.

Also check with your State of Virginia, website. States always have something going on.
For the state your jurisdiction may need a grant writer which can be an issue in itself however a neighboring large jurisdiction may be able to offer assistance.

I suggest reaching out to ICC, if they don’t currently have any availability I’d ask if they can offer a resource they may be aware of.

Also check with your State of Virginia, website. States always have something going on.
For the state your jurisdiction may need a grant writer which can be an issue in itself however a neighboring large jurisdiction may be able to offer assistance.
Thank you for the information. We are stuggling to hire a grant writer which has its pros and cons. Department heads are able to oversee and apply for grants as we wish but lack the experience in writing and resource knowledge. Great input!

Reach out to DHCD. My department got a grant a couple of years ago for a new laptop and an Ipad. Also, the State has paid for a subscription to the ICC Digital Codes. Virginia seems to do pretty well on that front. You could also check with your regional VBCOA chapter to see if they have any input.

"DHCD will provide Virginia localities with complimentary subscriptions to the ICC Digital Codes Premium Complete for their code enforcement personnel. This six-year premium subscription provides access to over 800 of the latest codes and standards and access to all enhanced features of the ICC premium complete subscription."

"All training programs offered through the Jack A. Proctor Virginia Building Code Academy are available to local government and third-party code enforcement personnel seeking certification. Priority is given to those required to obtain certification per the Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC). For many code enforcement personnel employed by a levy contributing locality, there are no tuition costs, however, tuition may apply for those not employed by a contributing locality."

Another good resource is the Virginia Building and Code Officials Association.

"DHCD will provide Virginia localities with complimentary subscriptions to the ICC Digital Codes Premium Complete for their code enforcement personnel. This six-year premium subscription provides access to over 800 of the latest codes and standards and access to all enhanced features of the ICC premium complete subscription."

"All training programs offered through the Jack A. Proctor Virginia Building Code Academy are available to local government and third-party code enforcement personnel seeking certification. Priority is given to those required to obtain certification per the Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC). For many code enforcement personnel employed by a levy contributing locality, there are no tuition costs, however, tuition may apply for those not employed by a contributing locality."
Good on you Virginia!