• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Appliance Support

jmc

Bronze Member
Hello. Regarding appliance support in multi-family dwelling closet installations, I'm running into units suspended at four corners with threaded rod but finding that the appliance still sways too much IMO. Most subs install a bracket from the rod back to the wall to keep the unit from swaying. Is there a code section that would address this? The code speaks to supporting the pipes etc, but I can't seem to find anything that addresses my concern. Any help with this issue will be much appreciated.

Will this help? I am in a seismic zone "D" so supplemental restraint is a no brainer

301.13 Vibration isolation.
Where vibration isolation of equipment and appliances is employed, an approved means of supplemental restraint shall be used to accomplish the support and restraint.

304.2 Conflicts.
Where conflicts between this code and the conditions of listing or the manufacturer’s installation instructions occur, the provisions of this code shall apply.

Exception: Where a code provision is less restrictive than the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance or the manufacturer’s installation instructions, the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s installation instructions shall apply.