1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Are Door Viewers required by code

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum' started by Srini, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Srini

Srini Registered User

Im not able to find any good info about requirement for a peephole being a code requirement.

This is my house that was a flop by a previous owner who didn't get permit for the interior changes and a new front door. Now the city found out and are hassling me. I made all the changes they asked of me. Now they say the front door needs a peep hole. My front door has glass and I can see outside and a peephole would look ugly on the door since you can't have it in the middle due to glass.

Also if I install a video doorbell do I still need to have a peephole?
    [​IMG]
    Any info greatly appreciated. This is my residence. My front door looks similar except you can see out of it..

2. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

What is the locally adopted code? No requirement under the conventional IRC for a peephole.

When in doubt, ask the AHJ for a code section.

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

As said, ask the city for a code section, so you can see the requirement in black and white.

You do live in the house, and not rent it out???

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

5. cda

cda Sawhorse

Ok looks like it applies,,

Would ask for sure, and you say your front door is glass, or partial glass??????????

L. All primary egress doors shall be so equipped as to provide the occupant with a clear view of that area immediately outside the door. This view may be provided by a one-way door viewer designed to provide a one hundred eighty (180) degree field of view. Such viewer shall not be mounted in excess of fifty-four (54) inches from the interior floor.

https://www.qcode.us/codes/sacramento/?view=desktop&topic=15-15_80-15_80_020

https://www.qcode.us/codes/sacramento/view.php?cite=section_15.80.030&confidence=8

15.80.040 Exception for single-family residences.
    The requirements found in Section 15.80.020(A), (B), (D), (E) and (F) of this chapter, shall not apply to single-family residences or duplexes. (Prior code § 9.23.930)

6. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Are you sure it's a peep hole or is it a gun port requirement?

Can't find it in the IPMC

7. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Sacramento City Code

8. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

The ICBO's 1997 Uniform Building Security Code, had a door viewer requirement.
    The code needed to be locally adopted.

9. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

The way I read it is the door viewer is not required for every door
    The glass provides the clear view provided it allows the 180 degree field of view would meet the code requirements

10. Pcinspector1

Mark,

I'm glade you posted that 1997 UBC section. I remember once getting a question before if a peep hole was required, back in the conarb days.:)

They were called view ports by the code.

11. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

We have a similar requirement in our national code for the main door. Can be a peephole or a window. In single family units, I have seen a peephole once in 10 years.

12. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

Oh the horror of all those homes out there that do not have a peephole! All those certificates of occupancy I have personally signed off on and I never thought once about a peephole.

Joking aside, if I lived a little bit further north where the polar bears are me thinks I would have a peephole. That's probably why tmurray has the requirement. And if I lived further south where all that crowding is (human bears) I might think about peepholes.

13. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

You know, I've never actually seen a polar bear. Plenty of black bears though.

14. Pcinspector1

tmurray, Here, polar bears pitch Coca Cola!

15. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

Tmurray - I have both brown bears and black bears in my area. We had a sow brown bear with two cubs five feet out of my living room window about three years ago and about this very same day of the year. We had a black bear two weeks ago. I thank you for the reminder by way of this thread so that I can safely tread into my back yard. By the way unless they knocked I would probably not even know they were at my door. All of the animals that visit my home are so much quieter than humans it is usually a surprise they are there.

16. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

The name "black bear" is misleading, however. This species can range from black to gray to cinammon to white depending on the location and the individual. To ensure proper identification of an American black bear, do not depend on the bear's coloration.

Brown/Grizzly Bears
    [​IMG]
    Notice the long claws, prominent shoulder hump, dish-shaped profile, and low rump on this brown bear.
    NPS Photo / Lake Clark National Park and Preserve /Jim Pfeiffenberger

Brown and grizzly are common names for the same species, Ursus arctos; the difference between the two is geographic location, which influences diet, size, and behavior. Those that live in coastal areas of Alaska are called brown bears, while typically inland bears that have limited or no access to marine-derived food resources are often smaller and called grizzlies. Both have the same distinctive body shape described below.

So your brown bear is my Grizzly Bear here in Montana. I have a black bear that hangs around where I live
    She pops up on the game camera a couple of times a year. Never bothers anything

Inspector Gift likes this.
  17. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

I always wondered how far the bear carried my beer cooler filled with 50 bls. of bird food in it. Never found it.

18. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

Did you replace it with a bear proof cooler?

Companies pay to have bears test durability of product

my250r11 likes this.
  19. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

Ursus americanus - Black Bear
    Ursus arctos - Brown Bear
    Ursus maritimus - Polar Bear
    Ursus arctos horribilis - bears on kodiak island!

poop with bells in it = bear ****

my250r11 likes this.