• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are drop out ceiling tiles ok?

Yev

I am planning on putting a drop ceiling in a commercial space in Oakland. There are already sprinklers in the space. I don't want to drop down sprinklers so I was thinking of getting drop out tiles. I was looking at Ceilume tiles. On their page they say that they are rated Class A and UL94 V-0. They also have several certificates. Here is the website if you want to reference it. Would I be able to use these tiles and not have to drop down sprinklers?

I tried contacting the fire engineer in Oakland city dep, but he said that for drop out tiles I will still need to drop the sprinklers. Although, at first I didn't provide him the details on the drop out tiles. But now that I have, he stopped responding.. So I'm trying to get an expert opinion on this. Does anyone know what part of the code this would be under?

Last edited:
It is in NFPA 13

Sorry would be tomorrow before could give you the section.

There are a few criteria to meet.

You did not post the link

It is in NFPA 13

Sorry would be tomorrow before could give you the section.

There are a few criteria to meet.

You did not post the link
I created a link with the word "website" and it made it a dark blue color.. not really apparent that's a link.. I just changed it to bright blue

This comes from NFPA 13 the 2016 edition.

You need to find which year edition your city is using, but should not be much different.

You are required to comply with all the provisions of the section.

Once again my best advice is to have a fire sprinkler company look at the building, and write a response to each of the sections items, so when the city asks, you hand them the response letter along with the specs on the tile:::

Only way I could post was a pdf

Attachments

• spk drop.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: