• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are grab bars measured to center of bar, or to start of return?

Yikes

Gold Member
CBC 11B-604.5.1 seems to visually indicate that toilet grab bars are measured to the center of the bar mounting point:
1607546162762.png

Does anyone know if there is more specific information on how/where to measure grab bar dimensions?

I know that on other components such as handrails, they measure only along the straight portion of the rail, putting the dimension line where the rail starts to curve as shown on the end of this extension:
1607546325338.png

I would agree, however, the way CASP reviewers are interpreting here in California is that it is measured to the graspable surface of the grab bar. So we measure to the interior side, not the center.

Welcome to California and, moreover, welcome to Los Angeles.

2012icc/ansi
609.4 Position of Grab Bars.

609.4.1 General.
Grab bars shall be installed in a horizontal position, 33 inches (840 mm) minimum and 36 inches (915 mm) maximum above the floor measured to the top of the gripping surface or shall be installed as required by Items 1 through 3.

1. The lower grab bar on the back wall of a bathtub shall comply with Section 607.4.1.1 or 607.4.2.1.

2. Vertical grab bars shall comply with Sections 604.5.1, 607.4.1.2.2, 607.4.2.2, and 608.3.1.2.

104 Conventions

104.1 General.
Where specific criteria of this standard differ from the general criteria of this standard, the specific criteria shall apply.

104.2 Dimensions.
Dimensions that are not stated as "maximum" or "minimum" are absolute. All dimensions are subject to conventional industry tolerances.

104.3 Figures.
Unless specifically stated, figures included herein are provided for informational purposes only and are not considered part of the standard.

Look at ANSI/117 Section 104.3 and there is a table explaining what each symbol in the drawings represent. The picture you posted is just giving you a "range" not a specific number

They very depending on trades and product. Here is an interesting article relating to accessibility tolerances

My original post was not referring to the vertical height measurement, but rather to the horizontal measurement. for example, when ADA says you need a 36" long grab bar at the back of a toilet, do you use measurement 1, 2, or 3 below?

1615252642010.png

I accept either. As long as the bar (and not just the flange) extends to 54" measured from the back wall. Just be sure that the bar is also within 12 inches of the back wall.

@Yikes In response to post #10, the answer here in CA is #1 in your diagram. We measure to the inside of the grab bar, starting at the point just before the grab starts to turn. The inspectors here consider this the limit of the gripping surface.

Mark, I get the vertical measurement - - but, any comments on how to measure it horizontally (see post #10)?
Not defined in codes or standards, but Code figures show it to the center of the bar, which in the post #10, be "B".

But to be realistic, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE CUSTOM BARS MADE, manufactures measure to the centerline.
see below
1615470883080.png

@Yikes In response to post #10, the answer here in CA is #1 in your diagram. We measure to the inside of the grab bar, starting at the point just before the grab starts to turn. The inspectors here consider this the limit of the gripping surface.

And herein lies my problem: If an inspector measures to #1, but manufacturers say the length is to centerline of grab bar #2 (as Mark shows below), then how do you know what size of grab bar to order? The manufacturer's cut sheet does not even provide a measurement showing actual length of the straight portion.

I look at CBC Fig's 11B-604.5.1 and 604.5.2 and 607.4.2, and they graphically dimension to the centerline of the attachment, but the code does not describie it in writing.

Not defined in codes or standards, but Code figures show it to the center of the bar, which in the post #10, be "B".

But to be realistic, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE CUSTOM BARS MADE, manufactures measure to the centerline.
see below
View attachment 7578

Why are you trying to create a problem?
It is not a problem.
if you clarified everything the code book would be 1,000 pages more than it is.
the manufacture's cut sheet matches the figures in the code, no issue.

I am with you all on not wanting to create a problem. I am sharing what we are dealing with in multifamily, publicly funded housing in Los Angeles. Showing inspectors manufacturer's "ADA" cutsheets, is futile, it has no standing. In that regard, I guess Bobrick needs to update their grab bars.

"ADA" labeled refrigerators, for example, have had to be replaced after installation in an entire apartment building because the temperature controls inside the fridge requires tight pinching and twisting of the wrist.

I am with you all on not wanting to create a problem. I am sharing what we are dealing with in multifamily, publicly funded housing in Los Angeles. Showing inspectors manufacturer's "ADA" cutsheets, is futile, it has no standing. In that regard, I guess Bobrick needs to update their grab bars.

"ADA" labeled refrigerators, for example, have had to be replaced after installation in an entire apartment building because the temperature controls inside the fridge requires tight pinching and twisting of the wrist.
So many manufacturers advertise products as "ADA Compliant" when they are very clearly not compliant.

Appliance controls in Type B units are not covered under Operable Parts. Only Type A (and Accessible if provided) units would need new refrigerators if the controls didn't meet 309.

Unfortunately there are a few inspectors and a lot of attorneys who look for 1/8" discrepancies so they can throw the book at you.

Noel, if I may ask, are these the building inspectors, or HCID staff?

I am in CA I measure to CL. In reality it is what the manufacturer provides as others have stated. There is no CA special added length bars from the toilet accessory manufacturer's to allow measurement point #1.