• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are Shut Off valves required on sprinklers serving an elevator shaft

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
State elevator inspector required shut off valve be installed on the head serving the pit and the one at the top of the shaft. He stated this was required by the ASME A17.1/CSA elevator code. We asked for a copy of the section to educate the sprinkler designers and he did not have it but had learned of the requirement at the last seminar he attended.
Anyone know about this? Can you provide a copy of the code language? Do the shut off valves need to be monitored?

We have not required it

Will get a section

Plus we and NFPA 13 have gotten away from sprinklers in elevator shafts

Will find the section

read through this for not requiring sprinkler in elevator shaft

ok somehow missed the link

Last edited:
Gut says valve not allowed, certainly would have to be monitored, I know we get shunt trip breakers for the elevator to shut down when those heads go off.....If not exempted in NFPA 13, you would not have a 13 building....If the car and everything in the shaft meets non or limited combustible, it might make it...

2016 NFPA 13

check 8.15.3 for omission of sprinkers

and the entire section 8.15.5

Will have to keep looking for the shut off set up. Not in the current 13, but have seen it before along time ago.

Might be a local or state thing

The great Moose state requires it:::

In harmony with the intent of the elevator code to minimize water in the elevator shaft, our office requires a shutoff valve outside of the elevator shaft for each fire sprinkler head within the shaft. The shutoff valve needs to be located in such a way as to minimize the quantity of water drained into the shaft area when servicing that fire sprinkler head in the shaft. A similar shutoff valve is required for elevator mechanical rooms when the functioning of the equipment in those rooms is seriously threatened by large quantities of water from draining a fire sprinkler system. The same shutoff valve can be used for both rooms. The reason for minimizing the amount of water in these areas is to minimize the chance of brake failure or electrocution.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/fmo/sprinklers/issues/elevator.html

Can't help with a code but our State elevator inspector notified the GC to have the heads removed from a project here while doing the elevator inspection. I had him sign off on it and the heads were removed. seems less safe to me.

Elevator industry lobbing for the change maybe?

It would be nice it everyone was on the same page.

Can't help with a code but our State elevator inspector notified the GC to have the heads removed from a project here while doing the elevator inspection. I had him sign off on it and the heads were removed. seems less safe to me.

Elevator industry lobbing for the change maybe?

It would be nice it everyone was on the same page.

Elevator people do not like wet stuff on their electrical stuff and brakes.

Not sure if the elevator code says something like provide shunt trip, if fire sprinklers are installed.

Than NFPA 13 gives an out not to install fire sprinklers in an elevator shaft.

That is where we are at, just eliminate the fire sprinkler at the top of the shaft.

asme A17.1 2.8.3.3.2

May be your answer. Do not have access to it, and may not answer the valve question

This is normally the most hazardous time for a contractor, when an inspector has been to a recent class::

""""learned of the requirement at the last seminar he attended.""""""""

I do not thing there is a requirement in the elevator standard.

It was an old way, that in my ump teen years have never seen installed, but have seen diagrams on the set up.

It appears some places still require it???

Have you talked to other cities in your state,,

To see if it is being required there...

There use to be a diagram in some code or standard showing the set up, just cannot remember what it was or when.