• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ashrae 90.1 2013 : building envelope area type versus outcome

Hyrax4978

I have recently started playing around with comcheck to verify what insulation requirements will be required in CT when the new code goes into place.
I was playing around with ashrae 90.1 as that typically is the least restrictive way for us to design buildings.

when i made a copy of the project i realized i had the wrong building area type. when i changed it from workshop to warehouse (without changing any other requirements) it went from 12% failing to 20% failing without changing anything else. i reviewed both reports and both reports have the exact same proposed U factor and budget U factors.

Why does this happen? does the building type play into the calculations of how efficient a specific building is even though the proposed and budget U factors area all the same on the printed ?

Also, i have new code books on order, and its a bit of a pain to sort through online pdf's, but my go to insulation package which use to barely pass, now fails by 12 percent. Does anyone have experience with metal buildings (PEMB's) and ahsrea 90.1 2013? what cost effective minimum wall and roof insulation packages would pass on Ashrae 90.1 2013. Am i correct in thinking the days of draped wall insulation and sag and bag roof insulation is gone? I am struggling to see how we can pass without the use of a rigid board someplace which definitely takes away for the cost effectiveness of metal buildings.

Thank you
Brian

@ ~ @

Spray foam insulation, however, the costs will increase significantly.

@ ~ @