• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

attachments to fire rated doors

Paul Linder

Where would we find reference to what can be attached to a fire rated door? Specifically, can a door bumper such as the Keedex Protect-A-Lok part number K-12 made of lexan polycarbonate be attached to a hospital fire rated door, or does it need to be the stainless steel K-12S?

Check this

Can existing fire doors be modified for new hardware?

And you can ask the guru Email

"Can existing fire doors be modified for new hardware?

Field modifications are limited by NFPA 80 to jobsite preparation for:

● surface-applied hardware;

● function holes for mortise locks;

● holes for labeled viewers;

● protection plates; and
● a maximum 3/4-inch (19-mm) wood and composite door undercutting.
Where would we find reference to what can be attached to a fire rated door? Specifically, can a door bumper such as the Keedex Protect-A-Lok part number K-12 made of lexan polycarbonate be attached to a hospital fire rated door, or does it need to be the stainless steel K-12S?
I see them (K-12) in every hospital I work in as well as other facilities. I use them often as well. I have not heard of any of these installs being flagged by AHJ. From my understanding, as long as the penetration's are covered and do not exceed 1" in diameter you're good.

● protection plates; and

I see them (K-12) in every hospital I work in as well as other facilities. I use them often as well. I have not heard of any of these installs being flagged by AHJ. From my understanding, as long as the penetration's are covered and do not exceed 1" in diameter you're good.

Welcome

We have a door Guru, that has a fantastic site

Check with CAL-OSHA in California, doesn't sound as if they would approve it. What does NFPA say about altering rated doors?

● protection plates; and

I see them (K-12) in every hospital I work in as well as other facilities Branddörrar. I use them often as well. I have not heard of any of these installs being flagged by AHJ. From my understanding, as long as the penetration's are covered and do not exceed 1" in diameter you're good.
I've been fitting some fire doors and linings supplied by howdens. Size are 1981x762 doors Frames supplied to suit doors. However the linings are only 765 wide. I've hinged with a 2mm gap hinge side and that's the minimum I can go max 4mm This means the door doesn't sit into the frame. I've measure some others from different suppliers with an internal width of 769. The doors are pre finished so although I could plane to suit I don't see as this is right and not something I've come across before I've spoken with howdens and they are speaking with the manufacturer on the issue but I just want some advice from carpenters on whats the norm. Should the door swing into the lining without being trimmed. Or is it sometimes acceptable for a door to be trimmed to suit. BTW this 765 measurement is at the head. I could alter the linings at the head but I don't see this as something I should have to do.

● protection plates; and
get doors from here Branddörrar
where is the best place to buy 20 min fire rated doors I went to home depot , the average cost for customized door may reach over 500$ with painting and tax So any store or types recommendations please ? Thanks

Several manufacturers make stock fire-rated doors, both flush and with molded hardboard facings to simulate stile & rail doors. A building supply store might have more options than a big box store.