• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ATV repair garage

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Did a final inspection at a small garage that was classified as occupancy U. They were doing repairs to ATVs, UTV's and side by side's. Shouldn't this be F2 as a repair garage?>
No definition in the IBC but IFC and NEC says:
IFC 2202.1 Repair Garage. A building, structure or portion thereof used for servicing or repairing motor vehicles.
NEC 511.1 Commercial Garages, Repair and Storage-Scope: Include locations used for service and repair operations in connection with self-propelled vehicles (including, but not limited to, passenger automobiles, buses, trucks, and tractors) in which volatile flammable liquids or flammable gases are used for fuel or power.
NEC 511.3 has definitions for Major and Minor Repair Garages.

$ + $ + $

Rick, were there \ are there any approved plans for
this business ?...........What do they say ?

$ + $ + $

I would have considered it a repair garage. Not a big as cars but you can get a lot of them in a small space and use the same chemicals ,oils etc. as cars. JM2Cents

The approved plans are for a "U" building. They said they would stop doing repairs in the building and will do them outside and just park the ATV's in the building. But I'm not sure if it should be S-2 instead of U. It's just 1,600 sq ft.

@ ~ @

About how may ATV's will be stored in said business ?
Fuel loads [ i.e. - gas, oils, other petroleum products, etc. ? ]

@ ~ @

I would consider that an S2. Were plans submitted and approved as a U?

I would consider that an S2. Were plans submitted and approved as a U?

Yes the architect said it was U so it was approved as U (Private garage). It is a private garage, no public allowed, also employee work area (if driving ATV's in and out is considered work).

So when does a U need to be changed a S2? There doesn't seem to be a difference in this case, S2 has a lot more requirements then U.

Yes the architect said it was U so it was approved as U (Private garage). It is a private garage, no public allowed, also employee work area (if driving ATV's in and out is considered work).

So when does a U need to be changed a S2? There doesn't seem to be a difference in this case, S2 has a lot more requirements then U.
As RLGA pointed out, the 2018 IBC has a definition, which would eliminate any work or storage by non-owners/tenants. If you can't use the 2018, I would rely on the accepted definition, which to me is the same basic premise. If they are working on ATV's, other than those owned by the owner or tenant, or are storing any other than those owned by the owner or tenant, I would call it an S-2. Now, how you go back on it at this point, is a whole different animal.

If the place I get my car worked on has a sign that says "private property" that doesn't mean it's not an S-2. If that same place didn't work on any cars but his own, it would be a private garage. Sounds like some critical review of the proposed classification should have taken place before you arrived.

I agree that private is just that owners own stuff. if it's a business and making money & has employees it should be a repair garage.