• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

B3 Advice

B3 or Bust

I am a brand new member here.. thanks for letting me join! I am a 45+ year Master Electrician who has recently taken a plans examiner job. I am very well versed in the NEC of course, but wanting to get a B3 for the new position. I am not fluent in I codes currently and looking for advice on the best method to proceed. Should I look at stepping through B1 and B2 then go for the B3? Or just jump right to B3? Any study guides you can suggest?

Thanks in advance!

I would do B1 then B2 then B3. The NEC and ICC Codes are really nothing alike and would definitely start B1 since you will be in new territory.

I appreciate the response.. I can tell the NEC and ICC are worlds apart in their code books. I just was not sure if the B1 and B2 tests would help if I really was not interested in inspections, only plans examination.