• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Back Flow Preventer

gdanielshm7

I need to install a Double Check back flow preventer on my irrigation system. Can someone please educate me for the codes I need to follow?

Welcome

Did you install the irrigation ?

Was it existing?

Your city sometimes has info handouts.

Do you have a company service your system?

Any firefighters that do irrigation ?

More than likely you need a testable assembly, someone may require an annual test.

I want to say fairly easy to install one.

Welcome

Did you install the irrigation ?

Was it existing?

Your city sometimes has info handouts.

Do you have a company service your system?

Any firefighters that do irrigation ?

More than likely you need a testable assembly, someone may require an annual test.

I want to say fairly easy to install one.

No, I did not install the system. When we bought this home in 1995, it was already installed with a separate meter.
I service my own system. I can do plumbing work easily.
Yes, JEA in now requiring a testing style assembly. A Zurn Wilksins 950 XLT2 was recommended. I can get it from Amazon for $153. It's easy to install.
I just need to know the codes. ie...minimum or maximum distance from the meter or property line. How high from ground level. Vertical vs. horizontal installation.

No, I did not install the system. When we bought this home in 1995, it was already installed with a separate meter.
Yes, JEA in now requiring a testing style assembly. A Zurn Wilksins 950 XLT2 was recommended. I can get it from Amazon for $153. It's easy to install.
I just need to know the codes. ie...minimum or maximum distance from the meter or property line. How high from ground level. Vertical vs. horizontal installation.
Follow the manufacturers specifications.

You might check lowes or had, they should have it, not sure on the price

Or some towns have dyi irrigation supply stores or a plumbing store

http://www.coj.net/departments/plan...sidential-backflow-prevention-requiremen.aspx

You may not have to worry to much about depth

$ ~ $ ~ $

gdanielshm7,

Check with your AHJ about any applicable Codes & the
testing and any inspections BEFORE you purchase
anything.......Are annual tests & certifications "required"
in your location ?.........If testing & certifications are
required, does a licensed & certified BFP Tester &
certifier have to perform these ?........Around here the
State Health Department regulates all BFP's, and
requires the BFP Testers to be fully licensed & certified
annually.........Go on-line to your State' Health
Department web site to do some research about BFP's
in your location.

Regarding the "vertical" vs. "horizontal" type of BFP, the
manufacturer will specify how each type is to be
installed.........Some BFP's can be installed either way.

Recommend that you research the type and brand of BFP
BEFORE you do a "Quickee Purchase" on-line........Cheap
purchases on-line aren't always a good purchase.

You did not mention as to where you want to install a BFP.
Below grade, or above grade ?.........IMO, both locations
should be well insulated and easily accessible

$ ~ $ ~ $

Just glancing at this post, a "double check valve assembly" for a lawn irrigation system didn't "smell right." Looking deeper into the JEA information it says:

"DCVA is allowed if the irrigation service was installed prior to May, 2014. Irrigation services installed May, 2014 and after require RP backflow preventers."

In other words, DCVAs are "grandfathered" for irrigation system installations before May 2014. Normally, a DCVA would not be allowed (at least per the IPC.) And per IPC Section 312.10.2 (same in the FPC), testable BFPs must be tested at the time of installation and annually.