• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bad set of prints

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is an A-2 being converted to a B. 4,000 square feet of office space with all brand new plumbing.

I cropped the bottom out to protect the innocent.

This is the 1 and only Plumbing page that was drawn by a DP and sealed by an engineer.

I don't think it cuts the mustard and already sent back my list to the DP.

What would you call out on plan review?

Lots of this could be field verified but I prefer more detail. How would you handle this?

Right click to open in another window.

http://inspectpa.com/download/PlumbingSubmittal.pdf

Re: Bad set of prints

1) needs to show all pipe sizing in other words more arrows to indicate that the 3 " DVW goes all the wy to the 4" existing

2) needs to show all the clean outs that are required

3) W/C need minimum 2" vent (No book in front of me)

4) vent line are required to grade up, not down or be level with no back grade

5) I do not see any floor drains or trap primers drawn in

6) Womens 2nd closet not consistant with other line typrs being used

7) mens closet pipe is 3" connection to new 3" pipe, from there to existing might need to be 4" based on fixture unit count

8) no p-trap shown for high fountain

9) ADA requirements not noted or anything even mentioned about it.

Ok I am tried now someone else take over :(

10. What codes were used to design this plan? List the actual AND approved plumbing codes used in

the design of the project.

Floor drains are not required in the restrooms, but IF they DO install them, then means to protect the

trap seals ARE required ( i.e. - trap primers, or something similar to the ProSet trap guards will be

required. Have the DP indicate their specific intentions.

11. Where is the drain line for the ' required ' Service Sink [ aka - mop sink ]?

Regarding the ADA requirements, ususally [`round these parts ], the DP's will include specific images

on the plans of the specific ADA requirements, dimensions, signage, mounting heights & locations, etc.

Would bad spelling be a discrepancy? :D Can you send this engineer back to Miss Johnson's 3rd grade class

and actually learn how to spell?

"Pipes passing through concretee.. "

12. Where are the potable water lines that these plumbing will connect to? Usually indicated.

Last edited:

2nd toilet in womens bathroom shown as vent line below floor should be solid line with pipe size.

No scale which is common. No roof or ceiling line on drawing. missing H & C drawing.

What type material is being used? PVC? Cast iron?

Would you consider this design build? :)

I would consider this ' napkin type ' drawing to be submitted by a "Design UN-professional" !

I guess that it just costs too much to provide information and actually draw things right!

Refer to Section 106.1.1 in the `06 IBC - Information on construction documents.

I am seeing this type submittal more and more. Some in the DP community, are passing the

buck onto the jurisdictions. Submitting the very minimal and hoping that it will pass muster.

I have a certain DP [ a registered ar-kee-tek ] who seems to wake up in a different world

every day. He acts like I won't be checking his plans and submitting comments for revisions.

I have to re-educate him almost every time he submits something.

Last edited:

I am accustomed to seeing a plumbing plan superimposed on an architectural floor plan, and acompanied by an isometric plan. I'm not sure what to call this, since it's neither plan view, iso view, etc. I believe this would qualify as a conceptual, pre-design sketch, used for maybe costing-out the work, but as the responders above mentioned, it is substantially incomplete.

Also, I usually ask for a fixture schedule, fixture unit calculation, dfu calculation, etc.

The service sink is in the plans, just not in the plumbing drawing. He called me today after he got my email response with the sticky notes on the PDF and apologized. He said he will completely redraw them. I will post the revision when I get it.

Niceeee!!! :idea:

1) Flat vents everywhere

2) I like the non-trapped high fountain, thats a classic.

3) Combination Dain and Vent on the right side lav--not

Ya'll get plumbing plans for a project of that size :?: Drawn by a DP too. I thought all the fun was in telling them to rip it out and install it in accordance with Note 1 :lol: I now see I could have just as much fun seeing how little a DP may know about drawing a plumbing schematic and stay in a warm office at the same time ;)