• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

basement ceiling height

jail

I am confused about minimum basement ceiling height for an unfinished basement. 2015 IRC states 6'-8". But crawl spaces are allowed. So if the basement ceiling is less the 6'-8", can it be a crawl space?

Maybe non habitable space???

R305.1.1 Basements

Portions of basements that do not contain habitable space or hallways shall have a ceiling height of not less than 6 feet 8 inches (2032 mm).

Exception: At beams, girders, ducts or other obstructions, the ceiling height shall be not less than 6 feet 4 inches (1931 mm) from the finished floor.

The 2015 IRC states 6'-8" is the minimum height for any basement, habitable or not. So my question is when is it a basement and when is it a crawl space?

The 2015 IRC states 6'-8" is the minimum height for any basement, habitable or not. So my question is when is it a basement and when is it a crawl space?

Which state code are you reading

2015 IRC R305.1.1
Portions of basements that do not contain habitable space or hallways shall have a minimum ceiling height of not less than 6 feet 8 inches.

2015 IRC R305.1.1
Portions of basements that do not contain habitable space or hallways shall have a minimum ceiling height of not less than 6 feet 8 inches.

Ok I tell people read the entire Novel/ Code book.

A basement is a story, and a story has a floor and ceiling, according to definitions in IRC chapter 2. A crawl space typically has a dirt floor which might slope with outside grade, and is typically just high enough to run pipes, ducts, etc. and service equipment.

This question, like "what is a bedroom?" is a timeless question that will never have a definitive answer. This is a philosophical conundrum of code administration. The different answers reveal more about the person answering than any hazard being addressed. I love playing around with this question in my classes on the subject.

As people attempt to answer, they often lean to things like the the floor surface (dirt or concrete) or the access (stair or ladder) to answer the question.

As these point arise, I like to ask things like:

Is it safer for someone to climb a ladder from their crawlspace with the box of Christmas lights than to use a stairway with insufficient headroom?

Why must we protect Americans from concrete floors in a crawlspace, but no permit is needed for a driveway or a patio?

This question, like "what is a bedroom?" is a timeless question that will never have a definitive answer. This is a philosophical conundrum of code administration. The different answers reveal more about the person answering than any hazard being addressed. I love playing around with this question in my classes on the subject.

As people attempt to answer, they often lean to things like the the floor surface (dirt or concrete) or the access (stair or ladder) to answer the question.

As these point arise, I like to ask things like:

Is it safer for someone to climb a ladder from their crawlspace with the box of Christmas lights than to use a stairway with insufficient headroom?

Why must we protect Americans from concrete floors in a crawlspace, but no permit is needed for a driveway or a patio?

So if below 6’8”

non habitable area

So is it “ Maybe non habitable space,,,, in a basement ”” ????

Last edited:
I don't think their is anything that does not allow a crawl space to be finished. I guess if the ceiling is to low to be a basement and you have a finished crawl space you don't need to worry about complying to spacing of receptacles, a smoke alarm, ERO, light, ventilation, heating, etc.

So am going with if 50% of a below grade ceiling height is less than 6' -8", it is a crawl space. I hope the building inspector agrees with me.

again,
2015 IRC R305.1.1