• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bathtub Seats in a Type A dwelling unit

JigglyPuff

I'm working on an apartment building in Minnesota. The way I'm interpreting the 2020 Minnesota Accessibility Code, it sounds like a permanent tub seat is required in the bathtub for the Type A unit. Is this correct or am I missing something?

1003.11.2.5.1 Bathtub.​

Bathtubs shall comply with Section 607.

Exceptions:
  1. The removable in-tub seat required by Section 607.3 is not required.

607.3 Seat.​

A permanent seat at the head end of the bathtub or a removable in-tub seat shall be provided. Seats shall comply with Section 610.

I believe this is a great example of how not to write a provision for a code or standard.

The option in Section 607.3 allows the installation of either a permanent seat or no permanent seat but requires a removable seat for the latter.

I think the intent of Section 1003.11.2.5.1 is to say you can provide a permanent seat or not, but no removable seat is required.