• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

BATHTUB TRAP LOCATION

ELLEN09US

Can I have the bathtub trap on the exterior wall? I don't like to sacrifice my interior look of the Tub.
Thanks,
uc

Why will the trap be on the exterior wall? Trap should be directly below the drain.

Vent would be in the exterior wall most likely.

Access to the trap? Can you provide a reference to where this is required? What code are you under?

Traps, while ideally accessible, are often inaccessible - think slab-on-grade homes. What you may be referencing is UPC Section 409.6 which requires access openings of sufficient size to permit the removal and replacement of the circulation pump for jacuzzi style tubs.

IRC 2012, P2720.1 requires access to the pump, 12"x 12" unless the pump is located further that 24" then the access opening has to be 18"x 18".

P2720.2 access to the piping drainage.

But these are not California codes, just now noticed the forum has been segregated.

plan check correction says "provide a permanently accessible 12" square bathtub trap access or note that a non-slip joint trap will be used 402.11 CPC"

plan check correction says "provide a permanently accessible 12" square bathtub trap access or note that a non-slip joint trap will be used 402.11 CPC"
Ok, making more sense now. Plans examiner is slightly off on his/her reference and this has nothing to do with the trap, but instead the joints at the trap. If using a slip joint connection, then access to the slip joint is required. Easy answer, do not use a slip joint. IMHO - Any responsible plumber would hard-pipe this and would not use a slip joint. Slip joints are cheap and unreliable - do not use in a concealed location. That said, they are permitted by code and can be used at your own discretion.

upload_2018-12-12_11-9-50.png

Just a thought, code is minimum, could the piping below the tub be up-sized one size so there's no chance of a stopped up line?

Just a thought, code is minimum, could the piping below the tub be up-sized one size so there's no chance of a stopped up line?
Requirement for access has nothing to do with stoppages. Access is required because slip joints have hand set threaded fittings that are prone to leaking and will come apart if drain is snaked.

Thus, glued fittings are the proper way to go.

Reactions: ICE
Requirement for access has nothing to do with stoppages. Access is required because slip joints have hand set threaded fittings that are prone to leaking and will come apart if drain is snaked.

Thus, glued fittings are the proper way to go.
Every now an then I find a threaded fitting for a tub drain that has been glued.

Still need access for the pump.

Off topic a bit: Does the plans call for safety glazing in those tub windows?

And what’s the segregation that you speak of?

On my screen it has right below the search forums:

Reginal Specific and Legislation Issues > United States > California

I've never noticed that before, thought you knew about it?

Segregation, separating CA from US:(

On my screen it has right below the search forums:

Reginal Specific and Legislation Issues > United States > California

I've never noticed that before, thought you knew about it?

Segregation, separating CA from US:(
Mine shows all of the rest of the states....not just California.....although I could make an argument for that.