• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Battery backup for garage doors

Thats stupid. All garage doors have a rope to pull that releases the opener, and if the springs are adjusted properly its easy to open. Number 2 ... if its a true emergency like a fire ... drive through the door.

I saw a note on another forum that sacramento county has essentially outlawed people from working on their own cars in their own garage.

After the recent wild fires several elderly people were found dead in their garage. It has been posited that they couldn’t get the door open. That’s a reasonable assumption. The reaction to the occurrence is not even close to reasonable.

no one will maintain them, and its more likely that the smoke got the elderly, especially if the door wasn't closed behind them because people undo the spring hinges or remove them altogether.

What's the estimated time it takes to do this inspection?

One less inspection on that day.

Conarb sez," I likes it!" "Go ahead and pour boy's! the inspectors busy watching garage doors go up and down!"

I believe there was a code change along these lines proposed to the IRC Committee last spring, if I am correct, it went down in flames.

I thought to myself, "Really? there is such a thing?", but the link text gave it away.

Is the term

Reasonable accommodations??

Now that you bring it up

What about apartment garages used by an accessible person ???

Are all the controls installed at correct height?

And the aforementioned garage door release??

Is there even a line to where we will go so far that it discriminates against they normal able bodied person. :confused::(

Is there even a line to where we will go so far that it discriminates against they normal able bodied person. :confused::(

That question should be answered by the Supreme Court in the current Asian students against Harvard University, the basic question is "can you discriminate against one racial group to aid another racial group?", so far oral argument indicate the Court is going to rule race cannot be used in admissions criteria. If the Court does say that race can't be used then the question will then be can ability, or lack thereof, be used to discriminate against one group in favor of another group.