• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Be careful out there !! OSHA Investigating

I herd once that as an inspector I can be sued if I if I was at a job where they were not obeying OSHA requirements and someone got hurt. Did this ever happen?

It depends who you are working for, jurisdiction or are you an independent? If independent check with your E & O carrier.

had a real chuckle yesterday when i saw that a young apprentice electrician (country boy) had used self tapping screws to mount his headlamp to his hardhat. I asked the young guy if he had ever had anything hit his hard hat. He said yes he had thought about that and so he had shaved off the tapping part but I could still see about a 1/4 of the screw through the hat. I stood by while his boss instructed him that an OSHA inspector would not like that. BTW hard hats have expiration dates and warning labels inside. Poor guy we really need those headlamps here in the dark of Alaska.

So the interesting thing about inspecting is that after you have been doing it for many years you get real tuned into looking at things

expiration dates! ouch! Had a great old miners hardhat (the kind where you can see the weave) told about expiration dates and it has become a wall decor.

I don't know exactly how it works but there is a circle with number in the midddle and I think it might be the year it expires and outside number represent the month. But that may be different on some models - the pictures are from my bosses hard hat that he has had a long time. Some have small squares that indicate the deterioration (maybe become translucent?)

Attachments

• hardhat.JPG
    hardhat.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 4
  • label.JPG
    label.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 4
**EDIT** Shell expired 04/2005-2007.

Shell and harness have separate expiration dates FYI.

Last edited:
correct the stamp is date of manufacturer and also found this:

As a general guideline, manufacturer's of hard hats suggest replacing them every 5 years, despite its outward appearance. However, replacement every 2 years is suggested for hard hats that are exposed to higher temperatures, extreme sunlight, harsh chemicals or other adverse conditions.