• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Beam supporting dwelling separation CBC 711.2.3 exc. #2

Yikes

Gold Member
I have a small 2-story type V-B apartment project (flats) where the 1 hour floor-ceiling (2x10s w/ gyp board ceiling membrane) of the unit above is supported mid-span by an exposed 4x10 wood beam below it.
CBC CBC 711.2.3 exc. #2 says this 4x10 does not need to be fire rated.

But, what about where the rated floor-ceiling assembly rests on top of the 4x10 beam (no type X between them)? Does this break the continuity of the assembly?

I think the beam will provide enough protection for those segments of the joists--you do not want any gypsum board between the joists and the beam that supports them. Although I don't consider it necessary, you could wrap the beam with gypsum board if the exposure of the beam is not necessary.