• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Beauty Salon Plumbing.

Spector_51

History has been made. In 25+ years as a code person, i easily saw the worst plan submission come across my desk today. This plan is for a hair salon. So bad that I am now even questioning my intimate knowledge of the plumbing code as it pertains to these type of facilities. Before anyone chimes in on how they should be flat out rejected (Which they will be), can anyone point to a special hidden section, buried in the code, that would apply.

Specially concerned about hair traps, faucets at shampoo stations, shampoo stations basin themselves, etc.

pretty broad thread but i can this going in all sorts of directions here.

@ ~ @ ~ @

The term Basin is not defined in the IPC......If
however, you use the application of Sink in your
application, then Section 418.2 might apply.

From the `12 IPC, Section 418.2 - Sink Waste Outlets:
"Sinks shall be provided with waste outlets having a
diameter of not less than 1-1/2" (38mm).........A
strainer or crossbar shall be proved to restrict the
opening of the waste outlet".

@ ~ @ ~ @

Here is what i came up with:

Fixture listed for purpose
Vacuum breaker on shampoo hose
strainer and hair trap
Water temperature

Not sure if pedicure and/or manicure will be provided, question asked.

Just trying to be sure i din't miss anything.

Of course i rejected drawings and am requiring the involvement of a licensed design professional.

@ ~ @

O.K., ...great !

QUESTION 4 U: If a customer in a wheelchair comes

in to the salon, is the sink \ basin, or a specific Accessibility
sink \ basin mounted at a height to allow that customer
to remain in their wheelchair ?

@ ~ @

For the IBC, Usually only the employees use the sinks so I would consider them to be in a employee work area and do not need to be accessible. Nothing about a sink that can be used for someone in a wheelchair but it could be a good idea.

Glad you brought this up; manicure and pedicure stations are both viewed as work stations and at least one of each must be accessible (but not all?), Checker is giving me a hard time on this in CA, claiming that all stations must be accessible.