• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bedroom window won't stay open

psedivy

Hi,

I am a renter and the 2nd bedroom has one lone window, but the window cannot stay open due to the tension strings being broken. When you open the window, it just comes crashing down. The landlord at this point is refusing to fix or replace the window. Is this a fire or home code violation? It seems trying to jump out the window in case of fire with the window coming down on you would be a safety issue?

Any advice?

Thank you.

Do you have habitability laws in WI requiring ventilation of habitable rooms? Landlord required to maintain those features.

If this was in my jurisdiction, we are not big on existing building code so I probably do not have a code to quote. That is not a problem for me and I would write a correction to fix it. The Health Dept. handles most landlord/tenant issues and I might hear from them .... they know me.

I would think that would be difficult to enforce ... the dropping window. You need an emergency window exit ... so you bust out the glass and theres the opening. If the window would stay open ... who is going to stop and close it after evacuating in an emergency?

Sorry, we do have the Property Maintenance Code adopted, and even it does not say it has to stay open, just operable.

Simple solution I have used to both secure, and hold open windows, cut a dowel, or small trim, to prop it open, or closed.

403.1 Habitable spaces. Every habitable space shall have
not less than one openable window. The total openable area
of the window in every room shall be equal to not less than 45
percent of the minimum glazed area required in Section

IFC requires the window to be operational from the inside without keys or tools or force other than normal operation. So with that covered you would probably need to go to the authorities adopted maintenance code to determine the landlords responsibility.

IPMC 304.18.2 Windows require a sash locking devise for security.

IPMC 304.13.2 Every window, other than a fixed window, shall be easily openable and capable of being held in position by window hardware.

So there you have it, if the International Property Maintenance Code is adopted.

Sorry, we do have the Property Maintenance Code adopted, and even it does not say it has to stay open, just operable.

Simple solution I have used to both secure, and hold open windows, cut a dowel, or small trim, to prop it open, or closed.

403.1 Habitable spaces. Every habitable space shall have
not less than one openable window. The total openable area
of the window in every room shall be equal to not less than 45
percent of the minimum glazed area required in Section
What's openable about an egress window that will not stay open?

R310.1.1 Operational constraints and opening control devices. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be maintained free of any obstructions other than those allowed by this section and shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge. Window opening control devices on windows serving as a required emergency escape and rescue opening shall comply with ASTM F2090.

A window that closes as soon as you let go is not free of any obstructions.
A dowel is two violations in that it is a tool and it requires special knowledge.

Give me an address and I'll mail a correction slip.

Last edited:
IFC requires the window to be operational from the inside without keys or tools or force other than normal operation. So with that covered you would probably need to go to the authorities adopted maintenance code to determine the landlords responsibility.

IPMC 304.18.2 Windows require a sash locking devise for security.

IPMC 304.13.2 Every window, other than a fixed window, shall be easily openable and capable of being held in position by window hardware.

So there you have it, if the International Property Maintenance Code is adopted.

That's the answer, if the IPMC is enforced in your city/town/county/whatever.

Contact your local code enforcement office, tell them there's a violation, and ask them to come cite it. You'll have to give them permission to come in the house.

I get the "but I put a wood stake in there to hold it up" from landlords all the time. It's exhausting. :rolleyes:

ICE, IRC does not come into play, it is an existing home.

JCraver, thank you, I stand corrected. I have never had to chase one of these down........cited doors before, should have thunk it through.

A dowel still works, just sayin.......:confused:

How long have you lived there?
Was it operational when you moved in?
Have you paid your rent?

I have a window that does that in my house and I cut a broomstick down to hold it open.....

Try and be a little self sufficient in life and dont ask the govt to get involved in a measly window that doesnt stay open.

Sorry but I have had enough of BS tenant stuff. I deal with it everyday.

If its something serious like no heat in the winter, no water, no hot water, OK ......... but a window that doesnt stay open????

ICE, IRC does not come into play, it is an existing home.

JCraver, thank you, I stand corrected. I have never had to chase one of these down........cited doors before, should have thunk it through.

A dowel still works, just sayin.......:confused:

That was PC, not me, I just agreed with him.

And yes, in my personal opinion that doesn't matter at all in this instance, a dowel would work and this is bad code. But they pay me to enforce it the way it's written, so here we are.

My exhaustion comes from the landlords that I've had to tell more than once.

How long have you lived there?
Was it operational when you moved in?
Have you paid your rent?

I have a window that does that in my house and I cut a broomstick down to hold it open.....

Try and be a little self sufficient in life and dont ask the govt to get involved in a measly window that doesnt stay open.

Sorry but I have had enough of BS tenant stuff. I deal with it everyday.

If its something serious like no heat in the winter, no water, no hot water, OK ......... but a window that doesnt stay open????
Maybe he has no AC?

OK, I forgot that a snarky sense of humor is sometimes lost here.................

I agreed with JCraver..........

The dowel comment in that reply was the snarky sense of humor.

Obviously it is not code compliant, if you have adopted the IPMC, which we have.